Security Engineer I
NerdWallet (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
1. Code review phone screen 2. On-site project to build a functioning app with interviewee's platform of choice
Programming Languages Mentioned
We are looking to hire a Security Engineer I to join our Application Security team. The Application Security team enables NerdWallet’s mission, to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions, by taking steps to ensure the products and services we design and build safeguard our user’s data and trust.
In this role, you can expect to partner with technical teams across the company, executing on initiatives that mitigate risk and prevent harm to user trust throughout the lifecycle of products. You’ll have the opportunity to mature the tools, workflows, and standards that lead to secure software coding practices, while providing a phenomenal developer experience and empowering partners to take ownership of the security posture of their products.
The right candidate will be eager to learn new technologies, have a desire to empower developers, and be a terrific collaborator maturing our security posture in meaningful ways. If you would like to develop your skills in a supportive environment, we encourage you to apply!
This role will report to a Business Information Security Officer.
If you were here 6 months ago, here are some things you might have worked on:
- Designed and Implemented a secret scanner in the CI/CD
- Helped triage and respond to security events and findings identified by various application security tools
- Assisted in rolling out a Content-Security-Policy response header for various applications
Where you can make an impact:
- Help scale our application security program through automation and developer empowerment
- Influence engineering and product partners to remediate security gaps across multiple functional areas while balancing company and security needs
- Building tools and processes to drive greater security posture visibility for leadership
- Review developer pull requests for adherence to security best practices
- Support operational work in response to security incidents
- Familiar with industry standards, risk mitigation techniques, and new developments within application security
- Pragmatic in your approach to reducing risk in a manner that incorporates business and product needs that balances time and risk reduction
- Asking questions, seeking guidance, and soliciting feedback when clarification is needed about assigned work or discussion topics
- Continuously training to understand application security fundamentals and goals for a company
- Committed to fostering a respectful, blameless, and collaborative work environment and receptive to constructive feedback from peers and mentors
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 1+ year of experience in a professional software engineering role (internships okay), writing production environment code primarily developed in cloud environments (preferably AWS)
- 6+ months experience in a professional security engineering role (internships okay)
- Proficient in Python
- Comfort with learning new languages as needed
- This role is remote, based in the U.S.
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄