Software Developer in Test
UserTesting (View all Jobs)
Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.
1. Initial interview 2. Pair programming 3. Offer
Programming Languages Mentioned
We’re UserTesting, a leader in experience research and insights; we believe the path to human understanding and great experiences start with a shared understanding—seeing and hearing how another person engages with the world around them and taking in their perspective. Working at UserTesting, you will be empowered to help organizations discover the human side of business–transforming how they work, collaborate, innovate, and bring new products and experiences to market. This is what inspires us, and it’s how we enable companies to connect with their audiences naturally and organically through an experience that is uniquely, and intentionally human.
A trusted company by top brands for 15+ years, UserTesting, recently merged with UserZoom, has over 3,400 customers in 50 countries, including 75 of the Fortune 100 companies. Joining our team means being part of a passionate group focused on transforming how companies learn from and understand their customers. Come join us and help us build the engine for human understanding.
Are you a collaborative Software Engineer in Test who enjoys coming up with solutions to technical problems? Would you like to work for the market leader in human insights technology? Join us at UserTesting, as we work together to scale our team, systems, and business.
UserTesting is looking for a Software Engineer in Test with a passion for innovation and collaboration to join us remotely in Canada, or in one of our offices in Edinburgh, Scotland or Barcelona, Spain. You will be building automation to help us scale and improve. We consider Software Engineers in Test an integral partner of our development team, and that everyone on the team owns quality.
The right candidate will collaborate effectively as part of a wider engineering team with a focus on SaaS projects. As an engineer at UserTesting you will be part of a passionate team that works effectively as a distributed group.
- Work closely with technical and subject matter experts to deliver class leading products.
- Contribute to ongoing test automation work within the Quality Engineering team.
- Write scalable, performant, maintainable code.
- Measure and report test automation metrics, including code, function, and test case coverage.
- Work effectively within a team environment, to regularly solicit and act on feedback, focus on root causes, and continually strive to improve.
- Introduce and/or work on frameworks that can be used for automation.
- Review code throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Leverage your technical skills to bolster and expand our Quality team’s effectiveness.
- Create tools that can be used by others.
- Make sure the product is reliable, scalable, and performant.
- Take part in software design discussions.
- Take part in planning discussions.
What we're looking for:
- Experience in automation frameworks and test strategy/plan development for web-based applications; ex: UI, API, and performance testing.
- Good understanding of Service Oriented Architecture.
- Experience with client-side performance optimization, security, and accessibility.
- Engineering practices such as refactoring, TDD, CI/CD, pair programming, and code reviews.
- Experience with agile development processes such as Lean/Scrum/Kanban/XP.
- Competent in testing knowledge (Playwright, Cypres, API testing, etc.).
- Good background in Software Quality concepts, process, and testing types.
- Related experience required, ideally with technical automation testing/framework experience.
- Experience working at all stages in the software development life cycle.
- Experience working in an Agile environment with distributed remote teams.
Don’t meet every single requirement but excited about the role? We encourage you to apply! Research show us that certain demographics are less likely to apply unless they meet 100% of the requirements, but you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. We know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Perks and Benefits
- Private medical and dental
- Monthly wellness and telecommunications reimbursements
- Work from home office equipment stipend
- Professional development stipend
- Flexible hours
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Your Birthday off!
- Mental Wellness Employee Assistance Program
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Referral Programme
- Paid quarterly volunteering days and Charity donation matching via our UT Cares Volunteers and Charitable Giving Committee
- Enhanced family leave
To learn more about our team, culture, and customers, check out our careers page, company blog, and press/awards. Aside from a great work environment and the opportunity to make an impact, we’re also growing the team quickly–join us!
At UserTesting, we are committed to providing more inclusive and accessible experiences for our candidates. We pride ourselves on building empathy; diverse perspectives, which we believe are the key values to creating exceptional experiences for everyone. Our commitment to providing accessible experiences is driven by this belief and our core values. If you require any accommodations or have any specific requests about how we could tailor our interview process to better suit your needs please contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need to speak to someone please ask!
UserTesting is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
UserTesting will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, as applicable.
We welcome candidates with physical, mental, and/or neurological disabilities. If you require assistance applying for an open position, or need accommodation during the recruiting process due to a disability, please submit a request to People Operations by emailing askPeopleOps@usertesting.com.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄