Manager, Platform Engineering - Tessera
Checkr (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, California, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
Programming Languages Mentioned
Checkr builds people infrastructure for the future of work. And we believe everyone should have a fair chance to work. That's why we've designed a faster—and fairer—way to screen job seekers. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr puts modern technology powered by machine learning in the hands of hiring teams, helping thousands of companies like Uber, Instacart, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco to hire great new people with an experience that’s fast, smooth, and safe.
A career at Checkr means collaborating with brilliant minds, disrupting an industry, and opening channels of employment to often overlooked candidates. Checkr has been recognized as one of BuiltIn's 2023 Best Places to Work in the US and is a Y Combinator 2023 Breakthrough Company and Top Company by Valuation.
About Tessera Data
Tessera Data is a leading background data provider with specialized expertise in criminal records, court data, and motor vehicle report retrieval for people-risk insight assessment and management. We are focused on building a safer future by providing valuable, people data used to drive informed trust and safety decisions, both online and offline. Our industry-leading data is the backbone for background checks and safety screenings used by companies to elevate the protection of everyone they serve.
We’re looking for a Manager of Platform Engineering who can help us design, build, and maintain high-performance, scalable, reliable infrastructure built in our On-premise and cloud environments. As the Manager, you will lead a team of engineers responsible for cloud infrastructure, monitoring, and DevOps who are responsible for the day-to-day support of Tessera infrastructure. You will lead and manage our Infrastructure team to focus on current infrastructure challenges and drive the modernization of legacy on-prem applications to cloud-native solutions. You will also partner with our other engineering teams to enable their services to be more performant, scalable, observable, and reliable. We are looking for someone who can bring their expertise, experience, and perspective to the team to help us build solutions that empower holistic and tangible transformation at every level. We are looking for a leader who can be hands-on if needed and has experience building and leading highly technical and operations-focused teams.
In addition to bringing Platform, Cloud & DevOps best practices, you will develop a collaborative, cross-disciplinary, and high-performing team while overseeing and improving the organizational design, structure, priorities, management processes, and reporting information systems. They will be responsible for hiring and promoting talent while building productive, value-added partnerships with vendors.
How your role contributes to the success of Tessera:
- Develop, coach, and retain engineers in a high-performing engineering team, capable of operating in and responding to our internal and external stakeholder needs.
- Participate in hiring initiatives to attract, screen, and hire new engineering talent.
- Lead complex initiatives and act as a technical subject matter expert in infrastructure design, architecture, implementation, deployment, and support for all platform operations.
- Design, build, and maintain a stable and efficient infrastructure to optimize service delivery across production, QA, and development environments throughout the development lifecycle.
- Utilize a consistent DevOps approach to improve all phases of the development and release process and ensure end-to-end quality across functions.
- Lead a team to monitor, troubleshoot, maintain, and continuously improve building, packaging, and deployment processes.
- Identify and deliver infrastructure and platform projects aimed at improving uptime, security, availability, capacity, cost-effectiveness, and performance
- Promote development best practices such as BDD, TDD, and pair programming in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Ensure that project/department milestones/goals are met and manage approved budgets
What you bring
- 8+ years of experience as an Infrastructure, DevOps and platform or relatable experience, and 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager successfully leading and mentoring a team of engineers with a strong preference on operations and DevOps
- Unwavering commitment to operational security and best practices (PCI, ISO, SOX)
- Multiple years of experience in an AWS, Azure and VMware environment utilizing VPC, ECS, EC2, EKS, S3, CloudFront, WAF
- GitLab, GitOps and Python experience is a plus
- Hands-on experience with containers, PowerShell, Linux (Bash experience), CI/CD, and log management
- Proficiency in monitoring, alerting, and observability tools such as Grafana, DataDog, or the ELK stack
- Hands-on experience designing and implementing infrastructure automation and relevant tools (e.g. Chef, Ansible, CloudFormation, Terraform) or other IAC solutions
- Demonstrate strong problem analysis problem resolution and decision-making and a growth mindset
What you’ll get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
At Tessera, we believe a hybrid work environment strengthens collaboration, drives innovation, and encourages connection. Our hub locations are Denver, CO, San Francisco, CA, and Santiago, Chile. Individuals are expected to work from the office 2 to 3 days a week. In-office perks are provided, such as lunch four times a week, a commuter stipend, and an abundance of snacks.
One of Tessera Data’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website.
The base salary range for this role is $215,900 to $292,100 in San Francisco, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Tessera Data
Tessera Data is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Tessera Data believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Tessera Data also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Tessera Data’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄