Cloud Architect (GCP)
The Nerdery (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home exercise
Programming Languages Mentioned
About Nerdery and Being a “Nerd.”
Nerdery is a digital product consultancy. Much more than consultants, we’re allies and guides on our clients’ digital journey – helping them to grow their business and delight their customers through intuitive, thoughtfully designed technology. As true partners, we prepare our clients for the opportunities in front of them, help them achieve their goals, and quickly deliver value for their customers. We do this by solving problems in creative ways across strategy, design, and technology.
At Nerdery, we’re not defined by our job titles but by the impact we make. You’ll work directly and closely with some of the world’s best brands to help create innovative digital products that serve everyone. As Nerds, our insight, innovation, and expertise are celebrated, and our growth is not only encouraged but expected. Being a Nerd means stepping up and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re curious, fearless (well, not totally fearless – there are heights and spiders, after all), and always our authentic selves.
We are looking for a Cloud Architect to join our team! We invite you to check out the details below and consider whether becoming a Nerd is the next step in your career journey.
As a Cloud Architect specializing in Google Cloud Platform (GCP), this role will design, develop, and manage robust cloud solutions on GCP. This role will leverage deep expertise in cloud technologies and GCP services to ensure the cloud infrastructure's scalability, security, and efficiency. The focus of the work will be pivotal in aligning cloud strategies with our business objectives, driving innovation, and facilitating the seamless integration of cloud technologies for our clients. The contributions in this role will be crucial in maximizing the potential of cloud resources to achieve optimal performance and growth for the organization.
- Independently design robust, scalable, and secure cloud architectures that are both high-performing and cost-effective.
- Build and implement CI/CD pipelines, infrastructure as code, and full automation of cloud resources both for specific clients and for internal reusable frameworks/assets.
- Design and execute client workshops to gather non-functional cloud requirements.
- Design and implement disaster recovery strategies with a strong understanding of business continuity requirements and the ability to create resilient and redundant cloud architectures.
- Mentor client and Nerdery cloud engineers to grow their technical skills.
- Empathize with customers and then develop solutions that address their demands as a sales engineer: document the scope, create a work plan, and estimate the delivery.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and advancements in cloud computing and GCP services.
- Work with stakeholders, including the Executive, Product, Data, and Design teams, to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure seamless, secure data flow and integration across various platforms.
- Update the project manager, Google partner, and client on status, risks, and opportunities through the delivery of an engagement.
What Things Will You Do As A Nerd?
- Cultivate strong client relationships, acting as a trusted advisor by understanding their business needs, identifying opportunities for digital transformation and technology solutions, and providing strategic guidance
- Provide technical leadership, ensuring the adoption of best practices, efficient processes, and high-quality project delivery across teams
- Foster a culture of innovation, encouraging experimentation and research to develop new methodologies, tools, and services that give a competitive edge
- Lead a performance-driven culture through recruiting and developing top talent with clear performance objectives
- Establish and maintain cohesive team structures
- Develop and maintain relationships with technology partners and vendors
- Identify and nurture strategic partnerships to enhance the organization's capabilities
- Collaborate with the Growth team to identify and pursue new opportunities for the organization
- Own the innovation process, including internal innovation training and events, and seek external perspectives
What Skills Will Help You Be A Successful Nerd?
- Strong experience in data engineering, focusing on Google Cloud Platform with services like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, and Cloud Storage.
- Proficiency in Python and SQL.
- Strong competency in advanced security practices, including managing encryption at rest and in transit, implementing identity federation, and understanding nuanced access controls. Knowledge of governance frameworks and risk management strategies specific to cloud environments.
- Proficiency in various GCP services, emphasizing advanced features and best practices. In-depth understanding of managed services like Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Pub/Sub, Cloud Spanner, and specialized data and AI services.
- Proficiency in using tools like Terraform, Cloud Deployment Manager, and others for efficient cloud infrastructure management.
- Proficiency in designing, deploying, and managing microservices-based architectures in GCP. Understanding containerization with technologies like Docker, orchestration with Kubernetes, and implementing API gateways for service communication.
- Strong communication skills, including translating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders, effectively managing client expectations, and collaborating efficiently with cross-functional teams.
- Desire to foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- Advanced understanding of IAM within GCP. Skilled in designing and implementing robust access control policies, managing identities, and ensuring secure access to cloud resources.
- Ability to take technical requirements and produce functional code
- Experience with Git and specified technologies.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a computer related field, coding bootcamp certificate, OR a thorough demonstration of self-taught software development skills
- 8+ years of cloud engineering experience
- 5+ years of cloud architecture or sales engineering experience
Are We the Right Fit For You?
The best way to get the scoop on whether Nerdery is the right place for you is to chat with current Nerds. We would be delighted to have a conversation with you and share insight into what it’s really like to work at our organization and if it’s a place where you can thrive. Our interview process will provide you ample opportunity to talk with other team members and assess whether the role is a good fit for your next chapter. Take the first step and apply today – our Talent Advocates will then reach out to you to get the ball rolling!
Must be legally authorized to work within the country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status.
Nerdery is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local fair employment practice laws. Nerdery strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), pregnancy, marital status, familial status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. All employees, other workers and representatives of Nerdery are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Nerdery will ensure that all employment practices are free of such discrimination. Such employment practices include, but are not limited to: hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, selection, layoff, disciplinary action, termination, compensation, benefits, selection for training, including apprenticeship and other terms and conditions of employment. Nerdery will also provide reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities pursuant to all applicable laws.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄