Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer
Checkr (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, California, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
Checkr builds people infrastructure for the future of work. And we believe everyone should have a fair chance to work. That's why we've designed a faster—and fairer—way to screen job seekers. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr puts modern technology powered by machine learning in the hands of hiring teams, helping thousands of companies like Uber, Instacart, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco to hire great new people with an experience that’s fast, smooth, and safe.
A career at Checkr means collaborating with brilliant minds, disrupting an industry, and opening channels of employment to often overlooked candidates. Checkr has been recognized as one of BuiltIn's 2023 Best Places to Work in the US and is a Y Combinator 2023 Breakthrough Company and Top Company by Valuation.
Checkr is looking for a Senior Infrastructure Security Engineer to drive security initiatives tied with our cloud product infrastructure. This role will collaborate and coordinate with our product, data, platform, and infrastructure teams to identify and mitigate security risk. You will contribute to protecting Checkr and the people who trust us with their information and safety. This work directly impacts our mission of creating a fairer future - come help us change the world!
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Execute on identifying and resolving infrastructure security issues using the Checkr ways of work and change management processes.
- Partner with DevOps and reliability teams to create visibility and awareness of security problems and work to prioritize their resolution in a way that respects the business needs
- Manage and operationalize infrastructure security tools as well as alert triage, reporting, and monitoring.
- Drive detection, response, investigation, and remediation of infrastructure security vulnerabilities.
- Consult and advise on infrastructure security architecture, authentication, configurations, policies, and processes.
- Participate in risk assessment, compliance, and other security program activities.
What we value in an Infrastructure Security Engineer:
- Passionate opinions about CI/CD, Kubernetes, and serverless technologies.
- Expertise in AWS security controls, monitoring, and orchestration (SCPs, Guard Duty, Config, Macie, etc.)
- Expertise in perimeter infrastructure security Web Application Firewalls (Cloudflare, AWS Shield), Web Application Scanners (Detectify, Tenable), monitoring (DataDog), and cloud security compliance standards.
- Working familiarity with Terraform, Gitlab, and DevSecOps workflows.
- In-depth technical knowledge of security engineering, network security, authentication, security protocols, and vulnerability management.
- Deep understanding of applying defensive infrastructure automation, advanced threat detection, and attack prevention.
- 5+ years experience in the security infrastructure space
- Deep knowledge of shifting left in security for infrastructure as code.
- Working knowledge of Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) and Vulnerability Management Tools
- Proven track record of implementing and/or managing SIEM/SOAR platforms.
- Conducted or participated in disaster recovery exercises
- Experience with the Atlassian suite of products (Confluence, Jira, etc).
- Working in a fast-paced startup environment.
What You Get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
At Checkr, we believe a hybrid work environment strengthens collaboration, drives innovation, and encourages connection. Our hub locations are Denver, CO, San Francisco, CA, and Santiago, Chile. Individuals are expected to work from the office 2 to 3 days a week. In-office perks are provided, such as lunch four times a week, a commuter stipend, and an abundance of snacks and beverages.
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website.
The base salary range for this role is $184,450 to $249,550 in San Francisco, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace. Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄