Senior Staff DevOps Engineer
Checkr (View all Jobs)
Denver, Colorado, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, Ruby, R
Checkr builds people infrastructure for the future of work. And we believe everyone should have a fair chance to work. That's why we've designed a faster—and fairer—way to screen job seekers. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr puts modern technology powered by machine learning in the hands of hiring teams, helping thousands of companies like Uber, Instacart, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco to hire great new people with an experience that’s fast, smooth, and safe.
A career at Checkr means collaborating with brilliant minds, disrupting an industry, and opening channels of employment to often overlooked candidates. Checkr has been recognized as one of BuiltIn's 2023 Best Places to Work in the US and is a Y Combinator 2023 Breakthrough Company and Top Company by Valuation.
As a Senior Staff DevOps Engineer at Checkr, your primary function will not just be managing our infrastructure, but also acting as a bridge, cementing strong relationships across all engineering teams. Your distinct role will involve fostering a culture of shared responsibility promoting Platform Engineering practices and driving platform adoption across teams. You will enable all teams to take collective ownership of their software's reliability, scalability, and performance. You will also guide other teams in fine-tuning their services, resulting in improved robustness and efficiency, ensuring that every team can focus on building superior software, backed by a reliable, scalable, and efficient infrastructure.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr
- Building, maintaining, optimizing, and scaling Checkr’s cloud infrastructure
- Improving infrastructure operations and processes with automation and tooling
- Optimizing CI/CD pipelines and DevOps tooling
- Participating in or leading design reviews and production reviews for new infrastructure services
- Debugging production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Ensuring the scalability and security of Checkr infrastructure
- Partnering with application developers to ensure best practices and efficient use of infrastructure
- Building and fostering collaborative relationships with other engineering teams and leaders
- Plan for the growth of Checkr’s infrastructure
What you’ll bring
- 10+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer or related experience
- Experience driving platform adoption with various product engineering teams, guided by a self-service and product-first approach
- Expertise in designing technical architecture and creating a strategic roadmap to realize a technical vision
- Expertise with AWS, Kubernetes, containers, CI, CD, IaC, Terraform, Linux, and microservice architecture
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP, web application security, and HTTP/HTTPS
- Experience with Istio or other service mesh technologies
- Your rollback plans are just as meticulous as your rollout plans
- An ability, willingness, and desire to mentor and up-level less experienced Infrastructure Engineers
- A passion for customer-centricity and building relationships with other teams
- Unwavering commitment to operational security and best practices
- Actively coding in Go, Python, or Ruby
What you’ll get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
At Checkr, we believe a hybrid work environment strengthens collaboration, drives innovation, and encourages connection. Our hub locations are Denver, CO, San Francisco, CA, and Santiago, Chile. Individuals are expected to work from the office 2 to 3 days a week. In-office perks are provided, such as lunch four times a week, a commuter stipend, and an abundance of snacks and beverages.
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website. The base salary range for this role is $195,719 to $264,796 in Denver, CO.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄