Software Development Engineer II, Maps API
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
Dallas, United States
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
$143,225 - $193,775
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Maps API team builds and maintains the applications and infrastructure responsible for creating and distributing Mapbox maps. Thousands of customers rely on our services to seamlessly handle billions of requests every day, scale in real-time to global events, and enable designers, developers, and analysts to make and share maps we’ve never dreamed of.
Delivering maps means delivering a model of the world that’s changing all the time and needs to automatically support the world’s edge cases – writing systems, fonts, local regulations, and global boundary disputes.
Our team maintains the highest-traffic read APIs at Mapbox and the distributed ETL pipelines used by internal and external customers to turn data into maps. We’re building new ways for people to visualize location data.
What You'll Do
As a Software Development Engineer II on the Maps API team, you will be responsible for balancing rapid development of new mapping tools against the reliability of our services as they scale into new request volumes, markets, and use cases. In a single week on the Maps API team, you might write application code robust to a world’s worth of data, build and deploy microservices, diagnose complex system behavior as global markets drive traffic in unexpected ways, or facilitate continuous delivery at Mapbox.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Collaborate with your team to identify and scope out well-defined tasks
- Execute on the scope and be accountable for delivering on time with quality
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox’s customer base
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, writing documentation, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Reduce technical debt, share your knowledge, and invest in your teammates’ health and happiness, while optimizing application performance and accelerating feature velocity
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Located in Dallas, TX
- 5+ years of experience building scalable high volume low latency backend services
- Proficiency in our tech stack — Python, TypeScript (backend), AWS (CDK/ECS/Step Functions/Lambda/S3)
- Familiarity with code versioning tools, such as GitHub
- Ability to engage, learn and contribute quickly to the initiatives
- Able to perform independently all the development tasks, based on designs and specs.
- Self-starter who is communication and outcomes-oriented
- An empirical analytical approach. You develop strong hypotheses, conduct spikes, and clearly communicate your findings
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, pairing and both written and verbal discussion
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- High quality mindset -- write unit tests, proactively remedy defects and follow through to production
Nice to Have Traits for This Role
- Experience and knowledge within the mapping domain
- Experience with Amazon RDS
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with various security standards and associated technical knowledge
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄