Senior Android Mobile Engineer
Aura Frames (View all Jobs)
New York City or San Francisco
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Followed by a few hours onsite writing code in our actual codebase.
$170,000 - $220,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
Ruby, Java, Swift
Why We Matter: Aura connects people around the world through a brilliant and simple photo-sharing experience on our customers’ digital picture frames. We are driven to connect people and deliver joy by liberating the wonderful photos that might otherwise stay trapped on smartphones. Technology and innovation are at the core of every decision we make, but always in the service of bringing families and friends closer together.
How You Will Add Value: You will join our growing mobile team and work closely with design and product to build new features, improve the experience, and ship app updates to millions of happy customers. Our apps are the primary touch point for our product and are the key to delighting our customers, so we are looking for an engineer who takes a strong customer-focused engineering approach. We believe that our customers and their needs should be at the center of every technical decision, and we are relentlessly focused on delivering the best possible product. As a member of a small team, you will be directly responsible for a large variety of highly-important projects. The team works in short sprints and values quick iteration and close collaboration with designers, product managers, and other stakeholders across the company.
The Stack: Our iOS app is built on a hybrid of Swift and Objective-C code, while our Android app is built on a hybrid of Kotlin & Java. We have developed a highly performant photo upload pipeline that runs in the foreground and in the background, so our users' photos can be seamlessly processed. We also have a communication stack built on Bluetooth and WiFi that makes managing our hardware device simple and intuitive for our users. Our web app and the ability to email photos to the frames also provide key connectivity touch points for our customers.
What Excites You About An Opportunity:
- Own projects from the first line of code all the way to production
- Develop new features, fix bugs, and make other improvements to our Android app
- Maintain and improve build systems, testing infrastructure, and QA processes
- Work on our Rails API as needed to support new app features
- Work on our digital picture frames, based on the Android Open Source Project
- Collaborate with designers and product managers to deliver beautiful and functional new features
- Participate in code review on GitHub
- Be responsible for your own weekly tasks through self-organization, communication, and time management
- Participate in daily standup and other team and company meetings
We Are Excited About You Because:
- Have at least 4 years of native Android experience, including at least two years on an app at scale with at least 10,000 monthly active users
- Be ready to work in a hybrid Java and Kotlin codebase
- Have a deep familiarity with Android technologies and trends
- Have experience building world-class UI on the Android platform
- Are comfortable working in a small team and taking ownership over various aspects of the app
- Are focused on user experience and using metrics, research, and feedback to measure success
- Take a detail oriented approach to user interface, including comfort digging into design files
- Work iteratively and think from the customer's perspective
- Are self-motivated and can learn new skills quickly
- Can clearly communicate your decisions and present your work to stakeholders
- Are comfortable working on a distributed team
- Are located in NYC or San Francisco.
Because You Matter: We believe in creating a happy and supportive work environment, so you can both excel at your job and enjoy coming into work each day.
Compensation and Benefits:
At Aura, we believe in creating a happy and supportive work environment so you are set up to succeed in your job and do the best work of your career. We have offices in New York City and San Francisco. Compensation for this position is $170,000 - $220,000, commensurate with experience. We offer the following benefits to all full-time Aura employees based in the U.S.:
- 🏥 Comprehensive health plans - Aura pays 100% of the premium for employees and 50% for families.
- 📈 401(k) with match - Aura fully matches the first 4% of your salary contributed
- 🌯 Lunch and snacks on us every day in our NYC and SF offices
- 💪 $150 monthly fitness allowance - gym, coaching, etc
- 🏝 Flexible time off - and you’re required to take at least 10 days off each year, in addition to all company holidays
- Generous stock option program; begins vesting after 1 year
(Benefits may differ for part-time or international roles.)
Aura Home Inc. All rights reserved, Aura is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄