Data Engineer (GCP)
The Nerdery (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home exercise
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, ETL, Python
About Nerdery and Being a “Nerd.”
Nerdery is a digital product consultancy. Much more than consultants, we’re allies and guides on our clients’ digital journey – helping them to grow their business and delight their customers through intuitive, thoughtfully designed technology. As true partners, we prepare our clients for the opportunities in front of them, help them achieve their goals, and quickly deliver value for their customers. We do this by solving problems in creative ways across strategy, design, and technology.
At Nerdery, we’re not defined by our job titles but by the impact we make. You’ll work directly and closely with some of the world’s best brands to help create innovative digital products that serve everyone. As Nerds, our insight, innovation, and expertise are celebrated, and our growth is not only encouraged but expected. Being a Nerd means stepping up and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re curious, fearless (well, not totally fearless – there are heights and spiders, after all), and always our authentic selves.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our team! We invite you to check out the details below and consider whether becoming a Nerd is the next step in your career journey.
The Data Engineer is a technologist passionate about data in all forms — whether stored within a relational database, a data warehouse, a data lake, a lakehouse or in-transit in ETL pipelines. They independently produce capable data structures and performant queries. Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, always learning, and willing to expand their horizons. They have a positive attitude that sets the tone for their team and brings strong initiative to the table. Passionate about supporting a team, this role is an essential back bone for our projects to succeed!
What Things Will You Do As A Nerd?
- Using SQL knowledge and experience, will work with relational databases, Big Query, query authoring (SQL), and working familiarity with various databases.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency, and other critical business performance metrics.
- Design and implement scalable and reliable data pipelines on GCP.
- Migrate and create data pipelines and infrastructure from AWS or Azure to GCP.
- Write and maintain robust, efficient, scalable Python scripts for data processing and automation.
- Using a strong understanding of data pipeline design patterns, determine the best for the use case.
- Work with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management.
- Manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, disconnected datasets.
- Work with stakeholders, including the Executive, Product, Data, and Design teams, to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
What Skills Will Help You Be A Successful Nerd?
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience within the software industry
- Ability to take technical requirements and produce functional code
- Experience with Git and specified technologies.
- Strong experience in data engineering, focusing on Google Cloud Platform with services like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, and Cloud Storage.
- Proficiency in Python and SQL.
- Experience with migrating data pipelines and infrastructure from AWS to GCP.
- Solid understanding of data modeling, ETL processes, and data warehousing principles.
- Familiarity with data pipeline orchestration tools and practices, such as Pub/Sub and Cloud Functions.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication and teamwork abilities.
Are We the Right Fit For You?
The best way to get the scoop on whether Nerdery is the right place for you is to chat with current Nerds. We would be delighted to have a conversation with you and share insight into what it’s really like to work at our organization and if it’s a place where you can thrive. Our interview process will provide you ample opportunity to talk with other team members and assess whether the role is a good fit for your next chapter. Take the first step and apply today – our Talent Advocates will then reach out to you to get the ball rolling!
Must be legally authorized to work within the country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status.
Nerdery is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state and local fair employment practice laws. Nerdery strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), pregnancy, marital status, familial status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. All employees, other workers and representatives of Nerdery are prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Nerdery will ensure that all employment practices are free of such discrimination. Such employment practices include, but are not limited to: hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, selection, layoff, disciplinary action, termination, compensation, benefits, selection for training, including apprenticeship and other terms and conditions of employment. Nerdery will also provide reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities pursuant to all applicable laws.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄