UI/UX Design Studio Manager, Thunderbird
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
$130,000 - $160,000 CAD
MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mozilla Foundation which runs the Thunderbird Project. Thunderbird is a global, free, and open source email client that has grown significantly in donations, staff, and aspirations since its launch 15+ years ago. We are expanding our team as we expand our products and services to offer our users the best-in-class communications solution. This new role is an opportunity for an experienced Design Manager who is excited to improve and establish Thunderbird visual identity across social media, desktop and mobile applications, and websites, and have a direct impact on our future growth.
We are looking for an experienced Design Manager to manage a team of designers responsible for web, desktop, and mobile applications design, and drive the creation and delivery of a consistent design system and brand identity across the entire organization. This role will be responsible for creating and leading others in creating digital and print assets for marketing efforts, owning and driving the implementation of a consistent brand identity across the organization, and the implementation of a modular and scalable design system to be used across desktop, mobile, and website applications. This role reports directly to the Director, Product Engineering.
We’re committed to creating an amazing experience for our users, and you’ll play a key part in this effort. You will be working with our existing staff and community members from all over the globe to support the mission and objectives of MZLA Technologies Corp and the Thunderbird Project.
This is a remote, full time position. We expect excellent written communication skills so as to foster strong work coordination over email, video conferencing, Matrix, and Bugzilla.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a team of designers and UX developers.
- Drive the exploration and implementation of design solutions through hands-on contributions.
- Ensure all the requests coming in for the design team across the organization are collected and prioritized to ensure a consistent and predictable timeline for deliverables.
- Closely collaborate with project managers, marketing managers, and engineering managers to ensure visual consistency across the organization.
- Provide senior leadership, guidance and support on all matters related to design systems, visual accessibility, and user experience best practices.
- Develop and establish departmental standards and procedures.
- Plan and kick-off user testing sessions and UX research related to projects and sprints.
- Ensure new and legacy applications meet quality standards.
What You’ll Bring
- 10+ years of experience in the web, desktop, and mobile design industry.
- 4+ years of experience managing a design team.
- Advanced knowledge of Figma and FigJam, Photoshop, Illustrator, Inkscape.
- Demonstrated experience designing user interfaces for desktop applications.
- Extensive experience in UX-driven design efforts and research.
- Strong experience in logo and icon design, with a keen eye for producing pixel perfect assets.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication, with the ability to clearly and concisely interact with an international audience.
- Comfortable working on all levels of a complex software and design stack, as well as strong learning and exploration skills.
- Deep respect for the different skills and perspectives that people of varied technical and non-technical backgrounds bring to a team.
- Dedication to open source and open standards.
- Proven ability to deliver and maintain complex design projects.
- A user-centered approach, with a keen interest in collaborating with and serving a community’s needs.
Bonus Points For
- Experience with StorybookJS.
- Good knowledge of SVG standards and file size optimization.
- Front-end development knowledge (HTML, CSS).
- Previous experience with an Open Source project, or participation in an Open Source community.
- French, German, Japanese, or any language proficiency in addition to English.
Applicants must reside in and have work authorization for Canada. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Compensation & Benefits
We benchmark our base salaries to local markets and target the 60th percentile of the peer market. The salary range for this role is:
- Canada: $130,000 - $160,000 CAD
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your whole self.
Work & Career
- Fully remote work & schedule flexibility
- Latest Laptop
- Annual Remote Work Stipend
- Monthly Internet Stipend
- Annual Professional Development Stipend
- Industry Conferences
- Annual Team Onsite
Health & Family
- RRSP Contributions
- Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Disability/Income Protection Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Sick Days
Rest & Play
- 24 days PTO per year (prorated)
- Your Birthday Off
- Year-end Company Shutdown
- Public Holidays
- Annual Wellbeing Stipend for Personal / Family Activities
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of MZLA Technologies Corp.
MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) Hiring Practices
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄