Senior Software Engineer
RStudio (View all Jobs)
USA - Remote
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
About the role
We are seeking a highly skilled and innovative Senior Software Engineer to join our Posit Connect engineering team. Posit Connect delivers value to businesses by empowering data scientists to rapidly deploy custom reports and applications. These artifacts, written in Python, R, Quarto, and more, allow data scientists to tell stories with data and solve real-world problems. Connect solves the challenges of putting code into production, such as environment management and authentication, without requiring constant intervention from administrators. In this role, you will leverage your expertise and play a key part in building third-party OAuth and IAM integrations, as well as architecting the next generation of Connect’s own authorization framework and role-based access control. Over time, you will serve not only as a domain expert on auth, but an essential part of the broader Connect engineering team.
What you will own
- Design, implement, and maintain robust third-party auth integrations that meet the highest standards of security and provide a delightful experience for users.
- Connect’s internal auth subsystem.
- Mentor other engineers and help them deliver critical architecture improvements to support a rapidly growing product and business.
What you will help with
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to standardize integration of authentication systems seamlessly across all of our products.
- Elevating engineering standards through code reviews, constructive feedback, and actively engaging in technical discussions.
- Prioritizing enhancements and bug-fixes to ensure that we are always delivering the most value to our customers.
What you will teach us
- Your deep understanding of industry best practices for first-party and third-party auth integrations, educating the team on the latest trends and techniques in the field.
- Your elevated standards for engineering craftsmanship, raising the overall bar on our team.
What you will learn
- A deeper understanding of how data science workflows rely on cloud computing and integrations.
- An appreciation for the tools and methodologies used by data scientists.
- Posit products and how they empower our customers to do effective data science.
Within one month, you will…
- Get to know everyone on the product team and become familiar with our current software development practices.
- Work through our onboarding guide and get familiar with our products.
- Ship code changes routinely.
Within three months, you will…
- See your code changes reflected in our current product versions.
- Participate in feature planning and provide feedback.
- Feel comfortable navigating the codebase and understand how things fit together.
Within twelve months, you will…
- Plan features and drive their development.
- Share your expertise and insights with team members, contributing to the collective knowledge and skill set of the engineering team.
- Point to parts of the products that you have significantly contributed to.
- Technical: you have a strong technical background with a track record of building successful products. Bonus points for a proficiency in Go and Python, hands-on experience in the identity and access management (IAM) domain, working with cloud platforms, containerization and orchestration tools.
- Product minded: while you enjoy solving technical challenges and mentoring others, the best part is doing that in the service of delighting your product’s users. You prioritize shipping fast, collecting feedback, and iterating quickly.
- Results driven: you are focused on achieving measurable results aimed at providing value to your customers.
- Curious: you are driven to learn new things and continuously improve. You bring fresh ideas and creative solutions to complex problems.
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit provides a substantial yearly match to employee 401K contributions.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we'd still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Posit Software, PBC participates in the federal E-Verify program, which confirms employment authorization of newly hired U.S. based employees. E-Verify is not used as a tool to pre-screen candidates and is only initiated upon hire.
E-Verify Participation Notice (English/Spanish)
Right to Work Notice (English/Spanish)
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄