Engineering Manager, Canvas & Growth
Zapier (View all Jobs)
1. Recruiter interview 2. Take-home project 3. Code review of the take-home project 4. Technical discussions with hiring manager and engineers from the team, values interview.
Job Posted: 1/9/24
Location: Americas - North, Central and South America
Zapier is on the lookout for a talented Engineering Manager to lead our innovative Canvas and Growth teams. Our mission at Zapier is to empower everyone with the ability to increase their productivity through automation. We've already enabled millions to enhance their businesses, and now we're taking it a step further with Canvas.
At the heart of Zapier's future, Canvas is designed to be a user-friendly and robust visual diagramming tool. It's crafted to simplify the process of planning automations, allowing for seamless integration of Zapier's diverse and unique features like Tables, Interfaces, and AI Chatbots. As the Engineering Manager on the Canvas and Growth teams, you'll play a crucial role in evolving Canvas from its current prototype phase to a fully-fledged product as well as develop and implement technical strategies to drive user acquisition, engagement, and retention across all of New Products.
If you’re interested in advancing your career at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
- You are a relationship builder and influencer. Your role involves not just leading your team but also collaborating with other teams and stakeholders. You possess excellent relationship-building skills and the ability to influence technical decisions across teams for the greater good of the company.
- You are vocal and discerning about architecture and software design. Your opinions on architecture and software design are informed and assertive. You understand the delicate balance between meticulous planning and pragmatic decision-making. This insight enables you to identify which architectural decisions require careful deliberation and where agility and shortcuts are appropriate, ensuring that development is both strategic and adaptable to the dynamic needs of the project.
- You're driven by results, not by process. In the ever-changing landscape of software development, you recognize that while processes are essential, they should never overshadow the end goal: delivering exceptional value. Your modus operandi involves light yet effective process and technical planning. You are adept at navigating through challenges with agility, ensuring that the emphasis remains on outcomes rather than getting entangled in procedures.
- You care about the 'why' more than the 'what'. Your approach to engineering isn't just about ticking boxes or following directives. You deeply value clarity and purpose in your work. If priorities seem nebulous or not optimized, you're confident and proactive in seeking clarity, ensuring that the team's efforts align with the broader vision. Misalignments don't escape your keen eye, and you're quick to flag them, ensuring that the team remains on a coherent and impactful trajectory.
- You live by the "always ship new code" mantra. You take immense pleasure in your team releasing code frequently, knowing that every deployment brings with it enhancements, new features, or solutions that directly impact users. This drive to constantly ship isn't just about quantity for you; it's rooted in your belief that iterative improvement, driven by real-world feedback, is the key to creating truly outstanding software. You're always on the lookout for opportunities to refine, innovate, and deliver, ensuring that users continually benefit from your relentless dedication to progress.
- You embody the "let's make it work" ethos. Challenges, whether monumental or minuscule, don't deter you. You dive in with a can-do attitude, unfazed by the magnitude or nature of the task. You understand that in the broader scheme of things, not every task will be about building the next flashy feature. Sometimes, it's about fortifying the foundations, ensuring that the system is robust and resilient. You're discerning enough to know when to invest time in hardening the system versus when to prioritize speed. In essence, you're a true team player, understanding that every task, no matter how glamorous or mundane, plays a pivotal role in the team's collective success.
- You have a user-centric approach. Emulating the engineer's ethos of advocating for the user, you ensure that your team's work aligns with user needs and enhances their experience with our products. Your leadership is grounded in empathy and a deep understanding of user-centric design.
Things You'll Do
- Work with the engineering team to make, evaluate, and advocate for important architectural decisions, ensuring they align with the long-term vision and technical standards of Zapier.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to evaluate and inform their technical decisions, creating alignment and removing blockers for the execution of Canvas roadmap items.
- Lead initiatives to identify and address technical challenges, fostering a problem-solving mindset and driving continuous improvement in our engineering processes.
- Work closely with your engineering function and peer design function and product function to create a trio that tackles user problems and solutions.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one's, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of the Engineering Team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier -- moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, improving developer experience, smoothing edges -- sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
Zapier Compensation Guiding Principles
We believe all Zapiens should be rewarded competitively and equitably, using practices that are simple and transparent. This philosophy ensures we’re able to find, grow, and retain exceptional people from a broad range of backgrounds. Here’s how we define our compensation principles:
- Competitive: Zapier pays well among the technology sector.
- Equitable: Consistent pay practices; Pay for impact
- Simple: Pay is well understood, and pay practices are built for scale.
- Transparent: Zapiens know how pay works, including how their pay is determined.
The pay ranges for this role are (min - mid - max):
- United States 184,100 - 230,100 - 276,100 USD
- Canada 184,100 - 230,100 - 276,100 CAD
A Candidate's compensation package is finalized once the interview process is concluded and accounts for demonstrated experience, job knowledge, skills, abilities, and internal equity. We use a business impact approach to base pay, which means we set pay for all Zapiens based on their demonstrated impact on Zapier’s success. In alignment with that philosophy, the upper half of a pay range is typically reserved for individuals who have consistently demonstrated a high impact in their current role and level while at Zapier.
For more information on Zapier’s Total Rewards please click here.
How to Apply
At Zapier, we believe that diverse perspectives and experiences make us better, which is why we have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We're looking for the best fit for each of our roles, regardless of the type of education or companies in your background, so we encourage you to apply even if your skills and experiences don’t exactly match the job description. All we ask is that you answer a few in-depth questions in our application that would typically be asked at the start of an interview process. This helps speed things up by letting us get to know you and your skillset a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Zapier is an equal-opportunity employer and we're excited to work with talented and empathetic people of all identities. Zapier does not discriminate based on someone's identity in any aspect of hiring or employment as required by law and in line with our commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base. Zapier will consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
Zapier is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will work to provide reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Application Deadline: The anticipated application window is 30 days from the date job is posted, unless the number of applicants requires it to close sooner or later, or if the position is filled.
Even though we’re an all-remote company, we still need to be thoughtful about where we have Zapiens working. Check out this resource for a list of countries where we currently cannot have Zapiens permanently working.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄