Android Engineer, Device Payments
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US & Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe Terminal helps our users extend their online presence to the physical world. The Terminal team’s mission is to make it as easy for businesses to accept in-person payments as the Stripe API has done for online payments. Stripe was founded to make it easier for developers to accept payments. We’ve solved a small part of that problem, but our ambition is to go much further.
What you’ll do
- Android engineers on this team will build and enhance applications, services, and the OS that run on the physical Terminal devices.
- Building the frameworks for other engineers, both internal and external to Stripe, to develop on our custom platform with ease.
- Design, build and maintain Android apps and SDKs in Kotlin
- Design, build and maintain Android ROMs
- Develop Android payment applications for a variety of devices and form factors
- Work with engineers, product managers, designers, and stakeholders across the company to bring new features and products to Stripe’s mobile users
- Collaborate with Android developers who work on the Stripe mobile apps and Stripe Terminal to set best practices for Android development across the company
- Work with user research and product design to understand users and address their needs
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 1.5+ years of experience in Android Development
- Experience working with either Kotlin or Java
- 6+ years of experience in Android Development
- Payments expertise or knowledge
- (Bonus) Backend infrastructure or services experience
- (Bonus) Custom hardware experience on the Android platform
- Listens well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great developer and consumer experiences
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄