Principal Software Engineer, Security
Gemini (View all Jobs)
1. Phone chat 2. Take-home project 3. Discussion on-site. Questions on prior experiences and culture fit
About the Company
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Tyler Winklevoss and Cameron Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Our flagship product, the Gemini Exchange, was built to be a compliant and secure platform to buy, sell, and store crypto. Our suite of retail products includes ActiveTrader, a high-performance platform for advanced traders. Gemini also offers the Gemini Credit Card providing real-time crypto rewards, the Gemini dollar (GUSD), a U.S. dollar-backed stablecoin, and Gemini Staking, allowing users to securely stake their tokens on-chain and receive rewards. Nifty Gateway, Gemini's NFT platform, is the world's premier marketplace for NFTs and digital art.
Gemini customers also have access to a wide range of institutional products tailor-made for high-net-worth individuals, asset and wealth managers, and hedge funds and liquidity providers seeking exposure to crypto. Customers looking to place large orders can use Gemini eOTC, a fully-electronic over-the-counter trading platform built for high-value bulk orders. For wealth management professionals, we offer a unique destination for their clients’ crypto portfolios from a single platform, and we enable fully electronic clearing and settlement of off-exchange crypto trades.
The Department: Information Security
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust. The Gemini security team forms the backbone of trust. In fact, Gemini’s very first hires were security specialists and we continue to tackle unique challenges in the crypto space. Our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Principal Software Engineer
As the founding engineer and tech lead for the new Security Services team, you will help shape and deliver core infrastructure to power Gemini’s security capabilities.
In this Principal-level role, you will set the technical direction for building, owning, and operating security-critical software, platforms, tooling, frameworks, and libraries. Leveraging your deep backend engineering expertise, you will provide hands-on engineering and leadership as the team scales up.
You will collaborate with other security and engineering teams to understand needs, architect solutions, develop robust systems, and support existing tools inherited by the new team. With a security-first mindset, you will establish secure software development patterns and DevSecOps culture.
As the tech lead, you will have wide latitude to craft our security infrastructure while mentoring and growing a world-class engineering team. Your mission is engineering mastery through operational excellence to support security.
- Architect, build, and support security platforms and tools leveraging robust software and systems engineering
- Collaborate with security and engineering teams to gather requirements, design solutions, and develop new capabilities
- Provide technical leadership and hands-on expertise as the founding member of a new engineering team
- Maintain and extend existing security platforms
- Hire and mentor strong backend engineers to build out the team
- 10+ years of experience in backend software engineering and infrastructure roles
- Expertise designing, building, and operating complex distributed systems
- Demonstrated technical leadership of engineering teams and initiatives
- Strong hands-on software development experience in modern languages
- Deep experience with Linux, networking, containers, and cloud infrastructure. We often use Kubernetes, Docker, and AWS
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in information security, security automation, and/or DevSecOps
- Knowledge of cryptographic concepts, secure coding, and threat modeling
- Familiarity with security technologies like SIEM, WAF, EDR, and SAST
- Experience building and/or operating access control, authentication, and/or authorization systems
- Competitive base salary
- Discretionary annual bonus
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄