Senior Engineering Manager, Data
Lob (View all Jobs)
1. Initial phone screen 2. On-site interview. Technical problems discussed during the interview are all simplified versions of problems we've had to solve in production. Our entire interview process and what we're looking for is described in our blog post How We Interview Engineers.
$190,000 - $220,000
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by some of the most reputable investors in tech, and we are building our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
As a proud Pledge 1% company, we’re committed to leveraging our product, partnerships, and people to drive positive social impact through Lob.org, and are on a mission to make direct mail more sustainable.
About The Team
At Lob, we love data: we believe that data is one of the most important advantages we have in an industry that’s ripe for innovation. From internal teams to external customers, we’ve seen the incredible power data has to offer and are ready to take this effort to the next level as we transform the direct mail and print industry by building data products.
This role will lead a team of data engineers, scientists, and analysts, cultivating the existing foundation of data products across the whole of Lob. Our work interfaces with stakeholders from product, operations, finance, and the leadership team as well as external customers. In the first six months, you’ll develop and refine a data strategy for Lob and lead the team on execution of key data products.
As Senior Engineering Manager, Data you’ll...
- Craft a vision and direction for data products at Lob–our leadership team believes that data is one of the key value props we bring to an industry ripe for technological disruption and you’ll help chart the course towards realizing that
- Partner with our cross-functional stakeholders to design clear interfaces, such as SLOs and SLAs, that both meet their needs of and align the team with our larger strategic vision
- Improve visibility into our data systems, giving our team and external teams, clear views into operational state and confidence in the accuracy and reliability of data
- Lead Lob’s push to use data to show ROI for our customer’s mail usage. This includes helping us solve for attribution and conversion across different channels (postal mail, email, sms, ads)
- Guide your team to execute on key initiatives such as mailpiece trackability, partner deliverability goals, and other workstreams aligned with company goals
- Deliver a reliable, scalable, and modern data system built on top of industry best practices (we use Airflow, DBT, and a data lake pattern, for example)
- Improve processes--project management, sprint management, stakeholder visibility--to help the team operate effectively
- Be a coach and enabler for your team, you’ll empower them, rather than tell them what to do. We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving muscle by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving actionable, timely, kind, and direct feedback
- Engage, retain, and grow great problem-solvers and collaborators. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work; psychological safety is a first-order goal
What you will bring to this role...
- At least 4 years of experience as a manager with a growth-oriented mindset. We’d love to hear how you’ve led teams through various stages of growth
- A track record of successful data product delivery in a variety of fast-moving environments. You’ve done engineering work at the senior level, solving complex technical challenges at scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them
- Some experience preferred working with a modern data stack, including Airflow, DBT, data lake patterns, etc
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them
- You seek to support your team, your stakeholders, and the company more broadly as a first-order consideration
- Since great technologists come from diverse backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a business setting
- A love for the domain and an appreciation for educating others about the hidden power of data products
Base: $190,000 - $220,000
Base: $180,000 - $207,500
“Lob’s salary ranges are based on market data, relative to our size, industry and stage of growth. Salary is one part of total compensation, which also includes equity, perks and competitive benefits. Salary decisions are based on many factors including geographic location, qualifications for the role, skillset, proficiency and experience level. Lob reasonably expects to pay candidates who are offered roles within the provided salary ranges.”
We offer remote working opportunities in AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NE, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, and WA, unless specified otherwise in the job description above.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2022
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄