Manager, Ubuntu Enablement Project Management
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Worldwide
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
The role of a Manager, Ubuntu Enablement Project Management at Canonical
We are looking for project managers with an aptitude and interest in team leadership and management. Run a team of project management professionals, who track and drive delivery of Ubuntu on a wide range of hardware for customer projects. Customers range from silicon customers like Intel, Nvidia, Mediatek and Qualcomm, to PC brands such as Dell or HP and ASUS, or IoT manufacturers such as ADlink or Advantech. Canonical Ubuntu is the world's leading open-source platform for cloud, IoT devices, and developers.
In this role you will manage a regional team of project managers leading multiple engineering teams to enable stable, secure Ubuntu images optimized and certified for new hardware. Projects include robots, edge gateways, and development boards as well as traditional PC and IoT devices.
We look for customer-facing team players to drive projects and navigate complex engineering constraints. As a manager of the Ubuntu enablement project management team, you will provide active leadership across all aspects of software and hardware enablement, build and maintain working relationships with team members, customers, partners/vendors (Silicon vendors, ODMs, IHVs), and other Canonical departments/teams.
Location: This is a globally remote role.
What your day will look like
- Lead a diverse and distributed team of project managers including performance management and mentoring
- Contribute to the success of our sales team in winning new opportunities
- Promote industry-recognized, best-in-class project management practices
- Lead the evaluation of project management tools, systems, and processes
- Drive resource capacity planning for the team, identifying gaps and actively looking for solutions to ensure efficient and effective team allocation utilization
- Drive continuous improvement and implementation of best practices
- Establish KPIs for project status reporting across Canonical
- Collaborate with cross-team leads to address common challenges across projects
- Drive execution excellence through continuous feedback and improvement
- Review customer feedback and participate in customer meetings
- Develop your project management team through coaching, mentoring, and training
- Serve as the first customer escalation point on critical projects
- Act as a trusted adviser to company leadership, collaborating with stakeholders to enable customer success
What we are looking for in you
- Experience leading diverse, remote project teams in a technology company
- Experience with cross-cultural and multi-continent projects
- Experience hiring, managing teams, and developing skills
- Strong software engineering project management experience
- Strong delivery of commercial technology projects to device manufacturers
- Adept at making things happen while successfully managing risks
- Experience building collaborative internal and external partnerships
- Solid commercial skills; experience in dealing with SoW creation
- Effective negotiator, comfortable in a customer-facing pre-sales role for complex projects
- Able to travel 4-6 weeks a year, up to two weeks at a time, sometimes internationally
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours when required, in support of a worldwide sales and project teams
- PMP/PMI or PRINCE2 practitioner certification
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Experience with the enablement of hardware and devices under Linux and delivery of commercial software technology projects to device manufacturers
- Knowledge of Linux and the wider the Open Source Software community
- Knowledge of Agile project management methodologies is an advantage
- Familiarity with a wide range of technology such as embedded device/IoT software development
- Ideally a Masters degree, MBA, or similar qualification
- Practical experience in automotive, including functional safety, embedded systems, and related software trends
- Automotive industry standards experience (ISO/IEC 27001, TISAX, ASPICE, etc.)
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄