Lead Data Scientist
Extend (View all Jobs)
1. Phone call 2. A take home project similar to making a PR at work 3. Then a meet & greet with the team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Extend is modernizing the $100 billion-per-year protection plan industry using cutting-edge technology and top-notch customer service.
Our technology-forward omnichannel and API-first solution allows any merchant to offer protection plans, both online and in store, while also providing a merchant's end customers with a vastly improved and modern support experience that eliminates many of the issues customers face today with legacy underwriters. More recently, Extend also launched a shipping protection solution, covering consumers in the case of lost, damaged or stolen packages. This is further expanding the company’s addressable market and value creation for merchants.
We are a venture-backed startup in downtown San Francisco led by founders who have previously had multiple successful exits. Extend simplifies the technology stack for the product and shipping protection industries.
About the Role:
You will be part of Extend's Risk Analytics team, bringing automation and sophistication to risk monitoring and management of the loss ratio. You will have the opportunity to help scale the organization.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Take ownership of risk forecasting through development of operational and financial models.
- Design risk segmentation and adjudication strategy to optimize claims automation, loss cost containment, and financial planning.
- Build and maintain dashboards (Snowsight, Tableau) to help track key performance metrics and deliver business insights on a regular basis.
- Guide strategic prioritization of claims and business initiatives.
- Build and maintain data architecture for actuarial and accounting input. Work closely with Data Engineering to make optimal use of available tools (DBT, Snowflake, JIRA, Github, etc).
- Lead efforts around financial data integrity through appropriate tools and governance.
What We’re Looking For:
- A curious, entrepreneurial data scientist with plenty of grit, analytical prowess, creative thinking, and initiative
- Bachelor's degree from a relevant major, Master’s degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of work experience as a data scientist, 2+ years of experience with risk or financial modeling, insurance experience is a plus
- Ability to communicate/present across the organization, especially to teams with less data & analytics experience
- Expertise with SQL and Python
- Empathy and humility
Estimated Pay Range: $140,000 per year salaried*
*The target base salary range for this position is listed above. Individual salaries are determined based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, work location and job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Life at Extend:
- Working with a great team from diverse backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental & vision benefits.
- Stock in an early-stage startup growing quickly.
- Very generous, flexible paid time off policy.
- 401(k) with Financial Guidance from Morgan Stanley.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄