Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Algolia (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Onsite discussions and presentation
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, Ruby, Golang
Algolia is set to enable every company to create world-class Search and Discovery experiences with an API-first approach. Performance and Scalability is at the heart of our mission: we power 1.5 trillion searches a year, for 10K+ customers all over the world.
If you're a problem solver, able to think outside the box and eager to nurture others and learn from them, then this is your challenge!
The Fleet team is a Site Reliability engineering team focused on one thing: the search products should always be available. To make this possible, the fleet team creates pragmatic solutions to optimize the Search Products availability and costs at scale, depending on the needs of the customer, the product teams, and the different engineering teams that deliver a unique Search Experience to our customers.
The team is looking for an experienced individual who is well versed in defining, building and operating scalable architectures, with proven strengths in cross-team collaboration, taking solutions all the way through delivery to adoption by other engineering teams.
As a senior member of the Fleet team, you will have a direct impact on Algolia’s Search Products. You will play a pivotal role in architecting and implementing systems that play a central role to the reliability, scalability, and cost optimization. You will also play a role in training/mentoring and leading team members.
Your role will consist of:
- Deliver a migration tooling orchestrator that has a huge impact on the product scalability, reliability and cost
- Operate the Search Products
- Run and improve our homemade Edge Load balancer
- Build, run and improve a backup/restore system to ensure the respect of our SLAs
You might be a fit if you have:
- Experience building and operating distributed systems at scale
- Experience designing and building APIs
- Experience designing new applications with reliability, operability, and availability in mind
- Experience with Public Cloud Providers such as GCP, AWS or Microsoft Azure, and usage of Kubernetes
- Strong knowledge in Linux system administration, network system and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of at least one programming language (Python, Golang, Ruby.) and familiar with software craftsmanship. Knowledge of Lua is a plus
- Excellent communication and organization skills
Team’s current stack:
- Golang, ruby/python, pubsub, Github Actions, CircleCI, terraform, Chef
- Linux, Bare Metal, Kubernetes
- Bare Metal, AWS, Azure
We’re looking for someone who can live our values:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s flexible workplace model is designed to empower all Algolians to fulfill our mission to power search and discovery with ease. We place an emphasis on an individual’s impact, contribution, and output over their physical location. Algolia is a high-trust environment and our team members have the autonomy to choose where they want to work and when. We know community comes in many forms and strive to create opportunities for intentional in-person connection in our offices and virtually for our remote colleagues around the world.
We have a global presence with physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Paris, London, Sydney and Bucharest.
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 17,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄