Staff Engineer, Internationalisation - Barcelona
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe can’t build the economic infrastructure of the internet without meeting people around the world where they are. The Internationalisation team supports all products and teams at Stripe in building native, localised experiences. The team works alongside our localisation team to continue raising the bar: aspirationally every product surface ought to feel like it was designed in the user’s language first, English second.
What you’ll do
Backend Engineers at Stripe are comfortable working on new products under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations. We’re looking for people passionate about distilling complexity in backend architecture to solve real world business problems.
- Design, build software services and platforms that will impact every Stripe user, whether they’re an end user, developer, or partner
- Ensure our platforms are reliable, scalable, secure, and extensible
- Shape future proof interfaces that are easy to build against
- Help drive sound technical decision making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Stripe
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement. We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re passionate about solving business problems and making direct impact on customers, you are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Residence in Barcelona, Spain.
- Have 7+ years of backend engineering experience building services using one or more programming languages such as Java, Ruby, or Go.
- Have a strong product sense and put strong emphasis on product quality. The big picture of what a great native experience is lies in Internationalisation’s hands so we need to maintain a high bar.
- Have an interest, passion, or love for language and understanding different cultures. Working on an internationalisation team, especially at Stripe’s scale, puts you at the nexus of the quirks of different languages & regions and tasks you to find automated solutions to address them.
- Have experience in ensuring great user experience and ease of use of features and products you build.
- Have experience with financial product companies and interest in financial products and markets.
- Served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄