Software Development Engineer II, Android, Maps SDK
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Maps SDK team builds the public library that powers our mobile maps. Customers of our SDK include apps on Android and iOS, small and large. We work with devices of all shapes and forms, from the latest flagship phone to tablets, laptops, smartwatches, HMD, and embedded boards. Our developers build apps, games and navigation experiences that top the App Store and Play Store rankings, and we are constantly working together to help them build what’s next, whether that’s an Augmented Reality game, a popular consumer app, or an autonomous driving experience.
What You'll Do
- Build and evolve our popular mapping SDK
- Craft expressive and easy to use APIs for developers using our SDKs
- Develop our automated tests and test automation infrastructure, and ensure that our deliverables are of the highest quality
- Dive deep into the underlying cross-platform implementations that power our frameworks
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Expertise in Android development using Kotlin and Java
- Experience building SDKs or libraries in any language
- Desire to build frameworks and developer tools
- Passion for developer ergonomics and building APIs
- Experience with testing methodologies and frameworks
- Ability to go deep in the Android stack and navigate AOSP code when needed
- Passionate to earn and keep customer trust
- Desire to learn and to teach
- Open-minded to explore new languages, skills, techniques, and platforms
Nice to Have Traits for This Role
- Experience working with the Android NDK and C++
- Familiarity with or a desire to learn more about OpenGL and Vulkan is a plus
- Experience with mapping/GIS technologies
- Experience with Jetpack Compose and Flutter
- Experience with Android Automotive
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄