Staff Systems Safety Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Staff Safety Engineer.
This role is within Aurora's Systems and Safety Engineering group, which is responsible for the engineering work of designing and developing architecture, algorithms, and tools needed to ensure that the Self Driving Vehicle meets Aurora's Safety Case - an unsolved problem for the industry and one of the most difficult challenges in the history of system safety engineering. Our team is responsible for understanding the functionality of the full stack and helping to define operational parameters important to maintain safe driving conditions. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently, learn, tailor and execute processes, and perform in a collaborative environment.
In this role, you will
- Take a leading role in ensuring the Aurora Driver system is able to preserve key functionality and continue meeting safety goals in the presence of faults, failures, and functional limitations
- Collaborate with software subject-matter-experts to identify potential insufficiencies and specify countermeasures to ensure that the Aurora Driver is able to achieve safety goals
- Define and develop test, verification, and validation plans for our complex software product capabilities to ensure overall system safety
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or a related field
- Experience in safety critical industry, particularly with safety-critical software development standards, software safety fault/hazard analysis, and requirements-driven software verification and validation strategies
- Demonstrated proficiency in the application of ISO 21448 (SOTIF)
- Proficiency in Python for engineering and data-driven analysis
- Experience writing testable system-level and software-level requirements
- Experience assessing software design and performing code reviews
- Comfortable working with ambiguity, evolving priorities, and challenging problems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Familiarity with the applications of Artificial Intelligence or Autonomous Systems technologies (e.g., Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Machine Learning) to sensing, perception, multi-unit planning, or command and control of autonomous systems
- Familiarity with C++ and modern software development practices and designs, unit testing, integration test, and release processes
- Experience with various testing modalities
- Experience working within large, production-ready codebases
- Experience with agile/scrum framework
The base salary range for this position is $189,000.00-$302,000.00 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering the benefits of self-driving will save lives around the world, expand access to transportation, revitalize cities, and give people time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in this space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Autopilot system. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial well-being.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization's long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at email@example.com if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄