Software Engineer II (Content Platform)
NerdWallet (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
1. Code review phone screen 2. On-site project to build a functioning app with interviewee's platform of choice
Programming Languages Mentioned
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about building delightful user experiences and creating consumer products that impact millions of users. We are looking for a talented WordPress Engineer who will help us innovate and shape our content platform as we expand.
NerdWallet’s Content Platform team is chartered with building and maintaining the high-traffic, headless WordPress that powers much of the consumer-facing site. We’re looking for an engineer to join the team to help evolve the CMS that underpins much of NerdWallet. In this role, you will contribute towards carrying out our vision of a decoupled content platform, one which powers numerous unique content experiences across web and mobile.
If you were here 6 months ago, here are some things you might have worked on:
- Helping complete our roll out of Gutenberg across all of our post types.
- Building tools to help improve the workflow for our team of content writers, and to help manage our content library at scale.
- Improving the flexibility and stability of our platform.
- Building self-serve tooling to allow other engineers to complete tedious tasks without writing code.
Where you can make an impact:
- Contribute to the development of a high-performance, secure, and scalable content platform, used daily by hundreds of internal users to improve the lives of millions of NerdWallet consumers.
- Partner with other engineers on the team and internal stakeholders to help implement technical solutions that drive business value.
- Shape and improve content platform features (e.g. content components, content editing tools, APIs) with long term extensibility and scalability in mind.
- Customer focused: You are passionate about solving problems for content authors, product managers, and other users of a content platform.
- Communicative and collaborative: You are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, product managers, and content writers to help build the common systems that the rest of the organization uses on a daily basis.
- Enthusiastic about relentless self-improvement: You are hungry to learn new skills and technologies, take on tasks you might not be familiar with, and grow as an engineer while working as part of a team of more senior engineers.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Existing proficiency with or a desire to learn operating headless WordPress as a CMS at scale. If you’ve built your own REST endpoint in WordPress, you’ll do great!
- Solid understanding of WordPress architecture, common APIs, and security best practices.
- Prior experience building custom functionality on top of WordPress core.
- Experience with Gutenberg — building custom blocks or extending its core functionality.
- Some prior experience writing unit/integration tests for your own code.
- Experience with Node.js, React, and GraphQL is a plus.
- Experience in the online publication / news / fintech industry is a plus.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
- The salary range for this role is $127,000-$207,000.
- Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄