Engineering Manager, Global Debits
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe’s payments products have helped to accelerate many of the world’s most innovative companies, and the Payments Methods team owns one of Stripe’s most critical workflows, a platform that processes billions of dollars in payments annually.
Payment Methods provide more benefits to merchants and enable functionality that was not present before. Within payment methods, bank debits is one of the commonly used solutions that allows direct debiting of funds from a customer bank account supporting both single and recurring payments. As a result, consumers enjoy various benefits ranging from automating transactions, avoiding the risk of missing payment deadlines and being charged late payment fees, and a peace of mind of not worrying about any interruption of service. This team is responsible for all debit solutions across Europe and Asia Pacific regions (such as SEPA Direct Debit) enabling merchants to process millions of dollars every month with a global outreach.
The Global Bank Debits team is responsible for Stripe’s connections to world’s top-seed B2B and low cost payment methods. The engineering leader for the Global bank debits team is responsible for driving the technical vision for improving our connections to top schemes in Europe and Asia Pacific. This includes efforts to make these schemes more performant and easier to manage, as well as efforts to build first-of-a-kind features like customer authentication and cross-border acceptance.
What you’ll do
Engineering Managers at Stripe are responsible for the success of their team. You’ll be deeply involved in the engineering and design processes as well as coaching, mentoring, and leading the team. You’ll have a deep understanding of how to drive efficient engineering teams and you’ll have a strong user-focus. You’ll be working with engineers on creating technical solutions and communicating effectively across teams and senior leadership.
- Define the Bank Debits roadmap by partnering with product managers and engineers.
- Lead the development and execution of your roadmap improving the life of millions of customers globally.
- Drive customer adoption and revenue growth of your products, by solving problems through user calls, deep-dives and close engagement with Sales teams.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (engineering, partnership, legal, risk, etc.) to manage technical dependencies and achieve product deliverables.
- Manage, motivate and develop the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe.
- Recruit and onboard engineers, both internally and externally.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- You’ve managed engineering teams that have built and shipped products at scale.
- You have great product taste and a track record of taking complex problems and solving them elegantly.
- You enjoy diving into and deeply understanding the businesses that use Stripe.
- You work very well cross-functionally, and are able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- You are capable of working in ambiguous fast-moving environments and have a curiosity to learn the domain to a deep level.
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- You encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- You’re technical enough to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions.
- You have at least 3 years of engineering management experience and 6 years of overall software development experience.
- Domain experience in fintech or a regulated industry
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar relevant background
- Experience working in a geographically distributed company
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄