Manager - Web and Design Project Management
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
The role of a Manager - Web and Design Project Management at Canonical
Canonical and Ubuntu are central to modern tech – from the cloud to the internet of things, from the web to mobile back-ends, and from development to production. Our Web and Design team shapes the user experience across this landscape.
The design team at Canonical crafts the user experiences of sophisticated technical specialists across a wide range of industries. Guided by the precision of our design system, we work on a range of products to deliver a consistent experience across a range of web interfaces. Our team has specialists in visual and UX design, and all aspects of web engineering. We collaborate, as product design squads, with globally distributed development engineering teams.
We are looking for a Web and Design Manager to lead the Project Management practice within our Web and Design department. In this role, you will manage a team of project managers and work closely with various web and design teams on various projects to shape Canonical's products' experience as well as improve internal processes and identify ways to drive more efficiency and quality.
Location: This role will be based remotely in the EMEA region
What your day will look like
- Lead a diverse and distributed team of project managers including performance management and mentoring
- Promote industry-recognized, best-in-class project management practices
- Lead the evaluation of project management tools, systems, and processes
- Drive resource capacity planning for the team, identifying gaps and actively looking for solutions to ensure efficient and effective team allocation utilization
- Drive continuous improvement and implementation of best practices
- Establish KPIs for project status reporting across Canonical
- Collaborate with web and design teams to address common challenges
- improve internal processes and identify ways to drive more efficiency and quality
- Drive execution excellence through continuous feedback and improvement
- Review web and design teams' feedback and participate in their meetings
- Develop your project management team through coaching, mentoring, and training
- Serve as the first escalation point on critical projects
- Act as a trusted adviser to company leadership, collaborating with stakeholders to enable web and design teams’ success
What we are looking for in you
- Experience leading diverse, remote project teams in a technology company
- Experience with cross-cultural and multi-continent projects
- Experience hiring, managing teams, and developing skills
- Strong software engineering project management experience
- Passion for agile methodology
- A track record of success managing web teams that include project managers, UX/UI designers, and developers
- Adept at making things happen while successfully managing risks
- Experience building collaborative internal and external partnerships
- Attention to details and excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Degree-level education in Computer Science or STEM field
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours when required, in support of worldwide project teams
- PMP/PMI or PRINCE2 practitioner certification
- Agile/SCRUM Certification
- Willingness to travel up to 4 times a year for internal events
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄