Special Projects Manager, Insurance
Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
📍London | 💰 £55,000-£90,000 + stock options and benefits
About our Special Projects team :
We are looking for a Special Projects superstar to help build and run the most exciting new business at Monzo - insurance. We want to bring our Monzo magic to this industry and redefine the way that people interact with insurance.
Our small and high impact Special Projects Team works across the company solving tough problems. We identify and assess new opportunities working closely with, work with new and potential investors, and support our executive, product and operations teams to build products that delight our customers with commercial nous and analytical thinking. We do what it takes to help Monzo grow.
To succeed, you should be excited about scaling Monzo, collaborating with partners and colleagues, navigating the regulatory landscape and using data to shape your thinking to build something bigger than yourself. We'd want you to apply if you are underwhelmed by the status quo of banking and insurance today and are interested in bringing your brainpower, commercial and quantitative skills and grit to creating something better.
We are looking for a well rounded insurance expert, who can help us build out our insurance proposition to our 7 million (and growing) customer base.
The successful candidate will play a key role in launching, supporting and managing a product that is in line with our existing suite that harnesses cutting edge user experience expertise and delivers better experiences for our customer.
Your day to day:
- Define the partnership approach for insurance and then make it happen, negotiating commercial terms and contracts with partners
- Work closely with Product to do whatever is needed to get this into the hands of customers
- Own the commercial viability of insurance eg building financial models to
- Building the frameworks and processes to deploy relevant and innovative insurance for our customers
You should apply if:
- You have in depth knowledge of insurance products
- You have experience negotiating with underwriters/insurers
- You’re excited about building and managing the relationship with our insurance partners
- You are excellent at managing and influencing stakeholders
- You are commercially minded and excited to collaborate with partners to get the best outcomes for our customers
- You thrive in ambiguity, ask incisive questions and take a structured approach to problem-solving
- You are excited about building products from scratch
- You are in your element understanding and solving complex problems, whether it is based on regulation, legal documents, business processes, user needs, technology or payment systems
- You are numerate and logic oriented
- You are humble but excited by what we're doing at Monzo
- The following would be a bonus:
- Experience working in a high growth company, particularly in a consumer facing insurtech
The Interview Process:
- Initial Chat (30 mins) - this will be with the hiring manager or our recruiter
- Experience loop (~2 hours) - This stage consists of 2 separate interviews that usually happen across 1-5 days. This will be made up of a Problem Solving and Partnerships interview. If you get through to this stage, your Recruiter will have a 15-minute chat with you beforehand to help you get ready and prepare for this stage.
- Final round (~2 hours) - This stage consists of an analytical thinking interview and a final chat with our VP of Special Projects
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
💰 55,000 to £90,000 ➕ plus stock options & benefits
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄