Senior Staff Product Security Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
C++, Python, Golang
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora’s Product Security team’s mission is to discover, mitigate, and prevent security risks in the software, hardware, and services developed by Aurora.
Our team is responsible for ensuring the secure design and implementation of the technology built for the Aurora Driver as well as continually improving the assurance levels of security across all of Aurora’s Products. This team is also responsible for performing technical security assessments, threat modeling, security code reviews and vulnerability testing to highlight risk and help various engineering teams and partners to improve security. We work closely with engineers across Aurora as well as 3rd party partners to design and proactively integrate initiatives to enhance security across a wide variety of software or hardware domains and technology stacks.
We are searching for an experienced Security Engineer with strong offensive security assessment experience that is excited to lead the assurance of the overall security posture for the autonomous vehicle platform to join us on this mission.
In this role you will
- Perform technical security assessments and reviews, research, uncover, and reproduce vulnerabilities, design secure protocols and systems, and write tests and fuzzers to drive architecture changes
- Assess the risks across the Aurora Driver Platform and prioritize high value components (software and/or hardware) for critical and high security vulnerabilities
- Comfort employing techniques including reverse engineering, fuzzing, and static and/or dynamic analysis
- Conduct research to identify new and novel attack vectors against Aurora’s products and services
- Review, develop and document secure operational best practices, and provide security guidance for engineers and various internal and external partners
- Lead successful integration of security capabilities, components and remediation work with partner teams
- Work with Engineering teams and OEMs to ensure successful security assurance of the Aurora Driver platform
- Guide and mentor both security and non-security engineers
- Minimum 9 years of experience in a security-specific or security-adjacent industry
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the robotics or automotive industry or equivalent
- Familiarity with automotive protocols and security standards
- Experience in Security Assurance / Secure-SDLC processes in an agile / waterfall environment
- Experience building and evaluating threat models / risk assessments
- Experience and ability to implement best practices related to cryptographic protocols, infrastructure and network security
- Foundational knowledge of operating system security for Linux
- Foundational knowledge of the CWE Top 25
- Ability to assess software and/or hardware components with and without full knowledge
- Ability to work well with other assessment members and engineering partners
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in one or more of the following: risk assessment, threat modeling, incident and emergency response, OS hardening, vulnerability management, pentesting, offensive security or cryptographic protocols and concepts
- Experience in vulnerability discovery and analysis, design review, and code-level security reviews
- Experience in, and technical knowledge of security engineering, computer and network security, authentication and security protocols, and applied cryptography.
- Experience with assessment, development, implementation, and documentation of a comprehensive and broad set of security technologies and processes
- Relevant work experience in offensive security, penetration testing or red teaming
- Experience implementing various Defense in Depth Strategies to address dynamic threats across various software and hardware stacks.
- Ability and desire to write production-quality code in C++, Golang, or Python
- Experience evaluating the security of software, hardware and services
- Foundational knowledge of embedded firmware security and hardware security, preferably in the robotics or automotive space
- Familiarity with cloud security (AWS) and infrastructure-as-code
- Familiarity with Trusted Platform Modules, HSMs, and trusted boot
- A history of giving back to the security industry via open source contributions, published papers, or conference presentations
The base salary range for this position is $254K-$407K per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial wellbeing.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization's long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at email@example.com. if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄