Software Engineer II
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, Golang, C++
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora’s Security Software Engineering team’s mission is to design, implement, and evaluate security components across Aurora’s software, hardware, and services.
Our team is responsible for the secure design and implementation of technology built for the onboard vehicle platform and the cloud services with which the vehicle communicates. In addition to contributing to the security architectural strategy, the team is involved in architecture reviews, reviewing threat models, security code reviews, and release-security for Aurora’s products. The focus of this team however, is the design and development of new security frameworks and technologies for our autonomous vehicle platform. We are searching for an experienced software engineer with security development experience that is excited to lead development of security-specific software components for the autonomous vehicle platform to join us on this mission.
In this role you will
- Design and develop new security components for our autonomous vehicle platform
- Build and embed security components within autonomy frameworks and infrastructure frameworks
- Work with partner teams to perform architectural design reviews of software, hardware, and services
- Lead successful integration of security capabilities and components with partner teams
- Work with Vehicle Platform partners and OEMs and ensure successful security integration into the Aurora Driver platform
- Guide and mentor both security and non-security engineers
- Foundational knowledge of operating system security for Linux
- Foundational knowledge of the CWE Top 25
- Ability and desire to write production-quality code in C++, Golang, or Python
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with automotive protocols and security standards
- Experience building and evaluating threat models
- Familiarity with and Ability to implement best practices related to cryptographic protocols, infrastructure and network security
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a security-specific or security-adjacent industry
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the robotics or automotive industry or equivalent
- Experience evaluating the security of software and services
- Foundational knowledge of embedded firmware security and hardware security, preferably in the robotics or automotive space
- Familiarity working with or developing fuzzers
- Familiarity with cloud security (AWS) and infrastructure-as-code
- Familiarity with Trusted Platform Modules, HSMs, and trusted boot
- A history of giving back to the security industry via open source contributions, published papers, or conference presentations
The base salary range for this position is $189K-302K per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial wellbeing.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization's long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at email@example.com. if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄