Data Scientist / Applied Statistician
LaunchDarkly (View all Jobs)
Oakland, California, United States
1. Informational phone screen with Eng leadership 2. Take home project 3. On-site interviews
Programming Languages Mentioned
About the Job:
We are currently looking for data scientists to join our Decision Science Products team. As a data scientist on the decision science products team, you will help us choose and develop the best statistical methods for various data and decision science products. The decision science products teams currently own experimentation, LaunchDarkly’s second largest product, and are developing additional products that rely heavily on statistics, especially sequential testing, Bayesian optimization, and various machine learning methods. We're looking for someone who can work efficiently along with other data scientists on the decision science team getting solutions from concept to production.
Our data platform processes events from over twenty billion feature flag evaluations, and billions of experimentation metrics events daily. The core technologies we use daily include Golang, Scala, Kinesis, and Flink. As a data scientist you will work with other data scientists to implement appropriate statistical methods for various problems in our product space, and work with data engineers to implement those solutions at scale.
Your work will be used by companies from small to large, across multiple industries, allowing them to make the best business decisions possible.
What you'll get to do:
- Build and expand our data and decision science products
- Evaluate and implement new statistical solutions for new products and evolving customer needs
- Collaborate with product team to influence and deliver user-facing features
- Partner with customers to solve diverse data challenges using our products
- Promote statistics standards, tooling, and processes
- Opportunity to work on industry or academic papers for new methodologies
- Opportunity to help educate customers via blog posts, office hours, etc.
On day one, you should have:
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Economics or related quantitative field
- Proven experience and fluency in probability and statistics
- Experience building experimentation tools
- Appreciation for both frequentist and Bayesian statistics
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and empathy
- You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with statistics
- You value high code quality, reproducibility, and other data engineering best practices
Target pay range for a Level 3 in San Francisco/Bay Area: $144,000-169,000*
Target pay range for a Level 4 in San Francisco/Bay Area: $165,000-195,000*
*Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), health, vision, and dental insurance, and mental health benefits in addition to salary.
LaunchDarkly operates from a place of high trust and transparency; we are happy to state the pay range for our open roles to best align with your needs. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, degree level, and location.
LaunchDarkly is a Feature Management Platform that serves trillions of feature flags daily to help software teams build better software, faster. Feature flagging is an industry standard methodology of wrapping a new or risky section of code or infrastructure change with a flag. Each flag can easily be turned off independent of code deployment (aka "dark launching"). LaunchDarkly has SDKs for all major web and mobile platforms. We are building a diverse team so that we can offer robust products and services. Our team culture is dynamic, friendly, and supportive. Our headquarters are in Oakland.
At LaunchDarkly, we believe in the power of teams. We're building a team that is humble, open, collaborative, respectful and kind. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
One of our company values is 'Widen the Circle'. Which means we seek out diversity of perspectives to get better results. We understand everyone has their own unique talents and experiences. We encourage you to apply to this role even if you don’t think you meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above. We can find out together if it's the right match for your skillset.
We've partnered with KeyValues to help demonstrate the amazing culture we've built here at LaunchDarkly, find more info at https://www.keyvalues.com/launchdarkly.
LaunchDarkly is also committed to giving back to our community and is a part of Pledge 1%, an organization that helps companies make this a priority. Through this initiative and its charitable arm, the LaunchDarkly Foundation, the company is committed to such causes as supporting education for the underserved, homelessness relief and moving towards having a net-zero carbon footprint. You can find more about the LaunchDarkly Foundation and the organizations we serve at https://launchdarkly.com/foundation/.
Do you need a disability accommodation?
Fill out this accommodations request form and someone from our People Operations team will contact you for assistance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄