Backend / API Engineer, Financial Connections
Stripe (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, Seattle, New York, or Remote North America
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies - from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups - use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone's reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team:
Stripe’s Financial Connections group is building technology that expands the scope of problems we tackle beyond card payments. We build alternative payments, enable new product experiences on Stripe, and there’s more on the way. We have ambitious goals to enable global businesses to run their entire financial life cycle on Stripe, and we want you to be part of our story.
What you'll do:
- Scope, and lead large technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance
Who you are:
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have a strong technical background, including 3+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- Are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations
- Served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- Measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- Internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Care deeply about mentorship and growing engineers and managers
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs, Legal and Accounting to understand how global policies influence our money-moving infrastructure, etc
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄