Backend / API Engineer, Financial Crimes
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe’s mission is to build the economic infrastructure for the internet. To accomplish this ambitious agenda, Stripe needs to enable business, banks, payment infrastructure and customers at scale. Stripe is required by law or contractual agreements (with partners) to prevent misuse of its products in the form of fraud, money laundering, terrorist financing and many financial crimes and illegitimate actions. Building trust with regulators, banks, businesses & customers is a key ingredient for Stripe to be successful and we are building best-in-class ML/AI to help deal with risk mitigation at scale, enable good businesses and develop high partner trust.
The Financial Crimes engineering team is responsible for building the platform, tooling, data architecture and ML models to help Stripe detect and action on compliance risks like Anti Money Laundering, sanctioning, KYC to name a few. Our work impacts Stripe's reputation as a reliable and trustworthy company to manage the worlds financial transactions and protects Stripe from legal action and punitive fines. In short we impact Stripe's bottom line and help build a safer financial backbone for the internet.
What you’ll do
Our ambition is to build industry-leading solutions to hard problems like:
- Modeling reputational risk
- Building ML models for near-real time detection of financial crimes in an adversarial and dynamically evolving environment
- Building data pipelines to incorporate new signals and paradigms like digital-wallets for countering crypto based financial crimes and money laundering efforts
- Building multi-language ML models that work in multiple markets and regions
- Develop merchant risk profiles that can be used for multiple downstream applications like fraud, credit and supportability risks.
- Building risk engineering systems at scale, to help Stripe grow its footprint rapidly
Here are some of the problems you will be tackling:
- As Stripe grows its footprint, how do we build risk engineering systems that scale?
- How do we track a merchant's activity across Stripe and use it to make risk determinations?
- How do we detect an unusual pattern of accessing Stripe?
You will have an outsized impact on the direction, design & implementation of the solutions to these problems.
- Proposing and implementing product ideas that directly reduce Stripe’s compliance risks legal actions by regulatory bodies or partner fines.
- Building systems, platform and tooling to detect, evaluate and action on businesses for risk
- Working with our partner teams to launch new policies that directly impact Stripe’s bottom line.
- Helping engineers across the company to develop technologies for scaling our infrastructure.
- Debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have at least 2 years of software engineering experience.
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure.
- Worked with technologies like Kafka, Presto, MongoDB, Databricks etc…
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in taking ownership and driving projects to business impact
- Thrive in a collaborative environment
- Have experience in Python, Scala (Spark), or Ruby
- Have experience in interfacing with ML systems
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄