Software Engineering Squad Leader - Container/Virtualisation - LXD
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Our mission is to build a next-generation private cloud infrastructure, combining KVM, Ceph, and SDN technologies to create a data center scale cloud that 'just works' and provides a mission-critical cloud for edge and core enterprise deployments. We're hiring squad leaders with experience in high-quality microservice architectures, high-performance teams who also have deep familiarity with Linux, virtualisation, storage and networking.
LXD components span the entire software stack from low-level kernel features to the upper level management API/CLI. Our most effective engineers are fluent in all these layers, and able to anticipate the consequences of design and engineering choices elsewhere in a complex distributed system.
As a squad leader, you must be technically strong, but your responsibility is also to run an effective team and help develop the colleagues you are responsible for. Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role. You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
The successful candidate will have experience leading successful, collaborative engineering teams, and demonstrate the ability to solve challenging distributed systems problems and deep knowledge of Linux.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of remote engineers
- Participate in the engineering process through code and architectural review
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring and feedback
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering squads, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Engage with teams at Canonical, the open source community and partners
- Work from home with global travel for 4 to 6 weeks per year for internal and external events
Who you are
- You understand modern Linux cloud computing technologies, including networking, storage, containers and K8s
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You love developing and growing people and have a strong track record of doing it
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- You have experience programming in C and/or Go
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄