Senior Data Engineer
The Zebra (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home coding challenge 2. In-person review and pair programming.
Programming Languages Mentioned
C#, Java, SQL, Ruby, C++, Python
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is "All Stripes Welcome," and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
The Senior Data Engineer will be responsible for helping us collect, connect, centralize, and curate our data. You will immediately contribute to our goal of using our rich datasets to make smarter business decisions. You should love releasing well-tested code multiple times a day, be ready to take ownership, and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in an extensive industry.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and love the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two.
Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA, MA, NY, NJ.
What You'll Do:
- Craft and develop a reliable, effective, and scalable data platform
- Create datasets that allow for more sophisticated reporting and analytics capabilities
- Mentor other engineers and analysts on data processing, data access, and manipulation techniques
- Assist and guide the company in finding data-driven solutions to business problems
What We're Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, phenomenal communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- 5+ years of professional programming experience (Python, Java, Ruby, C++, C#, Go, Scala, etc)
- Experience with scalable data warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, etc) OR with Hadoop, Spark, Flink, and/or related technologies
- Exceptional experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Familiarity with event streams and stream processing
- Experience with microservice architecture
- Comfort with the Linux/Unix command line and shell scripting
- Deep understanding of one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, Scala
Experience that will Impress the Heck Out of Us:
- 2+ years of experience building large-scale, distributed, high-volume system
- A desire to follow and advocate for exceptional software engineering processes
- Significant experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Implementing a performant Kafka or Kinesis event streaming solution
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k plan + employer match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ the flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 -- it's “insurance in black and white.”
We've garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is "All Stripes Welcome." As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄