Staff Software Engineer
CircleCI (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project and discussion 2. On-site interview that includes pair programming on actual CircleCI bugs/feature requests.
Programming Languages Mentioned
About CircleCI Developer Experience department (CircleCI France, ex-Ponicode)
In the CircleCI Developer Experience team, our mission is to invent and implement products that will become the new standards for the SW Engineering industry. The team comes from the fusion of two amazing companies (CircleCI and Ponicode) that share the same mission: handle change so software teams can innovate faster thanks to sustainable innovation.
Ponicode was acquired by CircleCI in March 2022. Since then, we have been growing our team of passionate engineers (Software Developers and Data Scientists) in order to fulfill our new role: build products that help developers ship better code faster. Our mission in the Developer Experience Team is to drive the “shift left” in software development, by providing developers with feedback as early as possible so that they can ship code confidently and fast.
Today, this means building CLI tools and IDE extensions that make it easier for developers to access rapid CI validation without disrupting their work flow.
We measure our success as a team by monitoring both raw usage metrics and user-value driven metrics.
We are based in Paris (France), and has hybrid work organization (=Mix of in-presence and CET Timezone remote working).
What you will do
Our stack is mainly Typescript with heavy typing usage (both in Back-End and Front-End). We are also progressively moving some of our microservices to Go, in order to best adapt to CircleCI’s stack and processes. We use React (with Typescript) for our front-ends.
Your capacity to bring your experience when it comes to implementing robust, scalable and bug-free code will be a key asset in the Developer Experience team.
Product Management (Very Nice to have, ratio depending on what you love)
At CircleCI France we have a great opportunity: we develop THE products we’d love to use by ourselves everyday, every time. No one is better placed than developers to define what tools developers would love to use every day. Long-in-short, we deeply believe that the tech team should be deeply involved and contribute to the product definition, rather than entirely delegating the task to a faraway Product Management Team who are not themselves users of the product. Your ability to bring a fact-based vision to the table and validate your assumptions with our product managers is very important to us. We love engineers ready to share their experience and insights about product strategy.
DevOps / Cloud dimension (Nice to have, ratio depending on what you love)
The more the product grows, the more devops and infrastructure challenges we will face. In order to start dealing with this matter, we would like you to be able to bring DevOps knowledge and maintain an infra task backlog. If the subject interests you, there is a big space to jump-in and grow. The minimum requirement for this position is for you to understand the challenges and key concepts of a multi-cloud scalable infrastructure. We are as much as possible cloud-provider agnostic.
What you will find
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will not only revolutionize the way developers code, but you will specifically deep dive into the mechanics of the different programming languages. You will have to be creative and meet many challenges along with the team.
- How to create multi-language and multi-framework compatible solutions
- How to build multi-IDEs compatible extensions / plugins
- How to parse large amounts of code with amazing performance
- How to implement algorithms that are able to understand and generate code
Product and strategy challenges:
- How to think out-of-the-box to invent the development tools that will be used by all developers and last over the coming 10(000) years?
- How to shape a Product strategy based on the market trends, the developers feedbacks and our deep convictions as engineers and users?
What we are looking for in you
- You are collaborative, open-minded, and looking to continue to develop your craft
- You are user centric and want every minute you spend at work to be of benefit to our users
- You are results oriented. You don’t consider your work or the work of your team to be done before it reaches the target that has been defined. You do whatever is required and take all the initiatives to reach this target
- You’re both a pragmatic and innovative person. You love thinking out of the box, while you always choose fast-result way
- You're experienced at pairing and mentoring
- You have a strong leadership attitude. You love helping your folks grow and improve. Having most of the people in your team over-perform their objectives is a driver for you
- You are proud of the code you produce; you do your best to apply clean code guidelines: it’s obvious, concise, tested and self-understandable / documented.
- Your mantra is to leave the code better than you found it
- You see writing tests as an integral part of the development process and understand the benefit of writing code and tests in small increments.
- You are an english-speaker and you understand french so that anyone in the team can speak their mother-tong.
What you will use
- Lots of Typescript (Back and Front), with Node.js and React
- Go (Growing)
- Docker / K8s
- Azure / AWS cloud / GCP
What you will have
- Attractive salary (based on experience) and regular reviews of your compensation package
- Stock options, because we like to offer all our employees a stake in our success
- Good French health insurance
- 50% reimbursement of Paris area transport expenses (Navigo Pass, if you are based in Paris)
- An experienced and caring team (50 reasons why you should join Ponicode)
- Great office available at Châtelet - Les Halles + international network of coworking Spaces
- Hybrid way of working: we spend 3 days-in-a-row in our Paris Offices every month. We use this opportunity to do some team-building, workshops and after-work activities. The rest of the time, you can work remotely from anywhere in the Paris time zone (CEST).
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix:
The Engineering Competency Matrix is our internal career growth system for engineers. This position is level E4. If you’re not sure this is you, we encourage you to apply. Find more about the matrix in this blog post.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools - processing more than 1 million builds a day - CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Base10, Greenspring Associates, Eleven Prime, IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Baseline Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Scale Venture Partners, Owl Rock Capital, Next Equity Partners, Heavybit and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄