Senior Engineering Manager, Borrowing
Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
📍London or Remote (UK) | 💰 Base salary for this role is between £130,000 and £160,000, depending on experience + stock options + Benefits |
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About the team
This role will be a Senior Engineering Manager in our Borrowing Collective. You’ll be leading 3 squads: loans and overdrafts, growth, and a brand new 0→1 product focusing on homeownership and mortgages. You’ll have 7-10 direct reports and lead an organisation of approximately 18-20 recursive reports. You’ll be supporting 1 Engineering Manager, and other senior team members including Tech Leads, Senior and Staff Engineers.
The Borrowing collective makes borrowing money simple, fair and transparent. We’re really proud that this fair approach to lending helps people to get what they want from life on their own terms. Squads in Borrowing have already shipped and scaled Loans and Overdrafts to hundreds of thousands of Monzo customers. They’ve made it easy to take out a loan without the unfair fees or confusing pricing that you find elsewhere. We've most recently launched a completely new product, Flex: a consumer focused buy now pay later product that is growing rapidly - providing a simple and clear way of using instalment loans. Borrowing teams work on everything from the way borrowing works in the app, right down to how they move and account for money that our customers borrow. They are extremely customer focused and start most of their work by understanding customers and their actual needs.
Engineering Management at Monzo
Engineering Managers at Monzo are part of cross-functional, autonomous teams and groups. Our teams are mission driven, and typically include Product Managers, backend, web and mobile engineers as well as data scientists, designers and subject matter experts relevant to that mission. Teams are organised into groups, and then collectives - we aim to keep our line management structure as shallow as possible, and for teams to directly own decision making relevant to their work.
Engineering Managers are accountable for the technical and delivery outcomes for their area - that means supporting and developing best in class engineering talent, as well as creating an inclusive team environment for people to do their best work. You’ll be responsible for structuring, organising, supporting and challenging your team to deliver on their mission.
You can read more on the expectations of Engineering Managers on our Progression Framework.
You’ll spend your time
- Leading a high performing, senior team of engineers. You’ll be supporting, coaching, and developing them through their careers.
- Partnering closely with other disciplines including Product, Design, Research, and Data, to build out product strategy, vision and mission setting, and goal setting.
- Taking accountability for delivery across your squad(s), collaborating with Technical Leads and Product Manager.
- Actively fostering a high bar for engineering excellence within your teams.
- Partner with senior engineers in your area to drive technical initiatives that raise the bar for our engineering practices.
- Lead on communication with stakeholders from other teams, creating focus space for engineers to do their best work.
- Collaborate with the wider engineering organisation to contribute to company-wide best managerial and technical practices and standards.
You should apply if:
While this is not a role which requires hands-on-coding, we are looking for an experienced manager who has a strong technical and delivery background and has worked as a software engineer in previous roles.
We recognise that engineering managers lead in different ways, we’re looking for someone who:
- Has managed at least 1-2 other Engineering Managers.
- Has worked on user-facing mobile products - ideally, you’ll be able to discuss the product impact you’ve made in your previous roles, including working on product strategy, roadmapping, and goal setting.
- Has an understanding of what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and ability to chart a course to get there
- Is comfortable operating with ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy.
- It’s a bonus if you have experience working in an experimentation led environment.
- Has delivery experience and is able to guide the squads in achieving their outcomes.
- Focuses on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage.
- Is able to input, understand and challenge engineering decisions - but to empower the team to make those decisions themselves
- Is able to to coach people to achieve their goals
- Has a natural ability to inspire and motivate a team
We consider your application across all open EM roles at Monzo independent of which role you've applied for, so if you've recently applied to a similar role at Monzo and have been unsuccessful, please wait 6 months before applying again.
The interview process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A 3 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com.
What’s in it for you:
💰Base salary range for this role is between £130,000 and £160,000 depending on experience + equity + stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
We're usually always hiring for Engineering Managers, so there's no closing date for this job.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄