Sr. Backend Services Engineer (India)
Mode (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite pair-architecting and discussion
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, Golang, Java
Senior Back-End Engineer
Location: Mode is a remote-first company with cross-functional teams based throughout the US and India.
Data-driven companies win. Mode helps you get data into every business decision, with an unmatched flexibility that scales with your organization as you grow. It is the intelligence layer for your modern data stack. Mode amplifies the investment you've made in every layer of the stack, by getting data you've made meaningful into everyone's hands, be it data analysts or business users.
Engineering at Mode
Come work with a diverse and deeply experienced team. We have colleagues from companies like Google, Tableau, SAS, Apple, Facebook, Glassdoor and many more. Read about our key engineering values.
Engineers at Mode work in small, cross-functional teams that own specific products and act with high autonomy. We value open discussion, collaboration and engineering excellence.
The backend engineering team supports Mode’s core data analytics tool. We are hiring backend engineers to work in the Connectivity Team to build robust ecosystem integrations. This team is critical to the functioning of Mode; making data from any source accessible to users to build visualizations and analytics.
- Java 8+, Golang
- Infrastructure and orchestration: Terraform, Docker
- A wide array of AWS services including EC2, S3, RDS, DynamoDB, ECR, ECS, Fargate
- Monitoring and observability: Honeycomb, Wavefront, Sumologic, Bugsnag
- GitHub, Circle CI
What you'll do
- Build connector applications that will target data warehouse ELT/BI builders, data engineers, application developers, data scientists, and third-party system connector builders.
- Build upon Mode’s connector platform to enable even more data and metrics connectors
- Create and own components such as:
- Schema Service
- Connector Service
What we look for
- 7+ years industry experience designing, building and supporting large scale systems.
- Experience delivering drivers or developer SDKs built on top of RESTful web service APIs and/or JDBC.
- Familiarity with building high performance and scalable software in an internet scale distributed cloud environment.
- Fluency in Java 8+.
- Familiarity with SQL.
- Interest in creating well thought out infrastructure and APIs.
- Experience with public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP) is a plus
- A growth mindset and excitement about breaking the status quo by seeking innovative solutions.
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written, and an interest in working with a diverse set of peers and customers.
- Alignment with Mode's values
We are particularly excited if you bring experience as a Committer to open source like Apache Iceberg, Parquet, Spark, Hive, Flink, Delta Lake, Presto, Trino, and Avro
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄