Staff Software Engineer, High Availability
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US / Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe doesn’t process quite as many requests as Twitter or Facebook, but we do care a very great deal about availability. Every request we process is very important to everyone involved! We can’t go down - because our requests - they’re all about money. Stripe needs to just work, which is where we come in.
You’ll be on a team that is building from-scratch solutions with lesser-available components bridged together to operate in parallel in order to create a more highly-available whole. We have the opportunity to build the foundation that future engineers 5-10 years from now will build on top of for more-available Stripe. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe even more available than it is today, and we’d love for you to be part of it. Many of our infrastructure engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
What you’ll do
- Actively work with leaders and engineers across the company to understand and identify opportunities to improve Stripe’s reliability posture
- Scope, design, implement, and deploy robust distributed services, making appropriate tradeoffs between reliability, throughput, latency, resiliency, engineering velocity and cost
- Innovate, design and implement new products and prototypes to improve service resiliency, engineering velocity and management at scale
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
- Contribute to engineering strategy, tooling, processes, and culture
- Uphold our high engineering standards and improve our codebase and processes
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have 10 years or more of distributed and cloud native software development experience at a highly-scaled or hyperscaler service
- Are a world class engineer with a deep understanding of how to build scalable, resilient, distributed systems, cloud native architectures, and mission critical systems
- Have experience influencing, planning, scoping, and leading large projects across many teams
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving diverse stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Have a high level of autonomy and responsibility, and think of yourself as entrepreneurial, proactive and self-driven
- Have a strong history of being a technical lead and mentor across several engineering teams
- Familiarity with the common patterns and practices for building reliable software
- Genuine interest and/or experience in debugging and troubleshooting complex distributed systems problems
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄