Software Engineer, Observability
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Seattle, San Francisco, or Remote (USA)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Observability team at Stripe provides engineers, merchants, and organizational leaders with the infrastructure and experiences to diagnose any operational issues with Stripe online services. We aim to do this reliably and cheaply at scale.
Our group is going on an ambitious journey to reimagine what an industry leading observability solution looks like. We are building a new observability platform from the ground up as a core foundational cornerstone for all of Stripe’s infrastructure & product services. We'll use modern distributed computing concepts and open source observability components that will scale with Stripe’s growth over the coming 10 years. We envision a modern platform that can efficiently scale to multiple petabytes of logs and billions of metrics on a daily basis.
What you’ll do
We're looking for a Software Engineer with experience designing, building and maintaining high-scale, big-data distributed systems. You will join the team to deliver an observability solution that breaks the scaling records and exceeds the reliability and performance expectations of client teams.
- Contribute to team strategy, roadmap, tooling, process, and culture
- Actively work with engineers across the company to understand and identify observability needs
- Understand our current system architecture, learn about the state-of-the art solutions implemented at other organizations, open-source solutions and their respective pros and cons
- Scope, design, implement, and deploy robust solutions, making appropriate tradeoffs between reliability, throughput, latency, resiliency, engineering velocity and cost
- Innovate, design and implement software solutions that contribute towards improvement in service resiliency, reliability, efficiency and management at scale
- Uphold our high engineering standards and improve our codebase and processes
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 3+ years of professional hands-on software development experience
- Experience developing, maintaining and debugging distributed systems built with open source tools
- Experience building infrastructure as a product centered around users’ needs
- Experience optimizing the end to end performance of distributed systems
- Experience with scaling distributed systems in a rapidly moving environment
- Experience with resource optimization in online or batch processing systems
- Comfort breaking down large, complex systems; identifying shortcomings and optimization opportunities; and making data driven cost performance tradeoffs to influence design decisions
- Experience building and operating infrastructure and tools that empower developers
- Experience building or maintaining observability solutions, such as designing and/or building telemetry collection, transport, and storage solutions
- Familiarity with open source and/or commercial observability technologies; familiarity with solutions in metrics, logs, and tracing domains
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄