Technical Manager, Financial Crime Business Banking
Monzo (View all Jobs)
Cardiff, London or Remote (UK)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
📍Remote in the UK 🇬🇧 | 💰 £34,650 - £43,000 + plus stock options + Benefits
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque. We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves. Our business banking product, Best Business Banking App at the 2022 British Bank Awards, is built for our customers, making it simple for small businesses to pay and get paid.
About our Financial Crime Customer Operations team:
Our Financial Crime Customer Operations team is at the heart of how we protect Monzo and our customers from economic crimes such as fraud and money laundering.
In our FinCrime Business Banking team, we protect Monzo and our customers throughout the lifecycle of our business customers. We conduct due diligence on our customers during onboarding and during their life with us. We conduct investigations, report and exit accounts where suspicious activity is identified.
What you’ll be working on:
We are looking for an exceptional business financial crime subject matter expert to join our dedicated team of Financial Crime Technical Managers and support the FinCrime Business Banking team as this product and customer base grows.
Financial Crime Technical Managers play a key role in our Operational Leadership team and work with wider stakeholders implementing product, process and typology enhancements. They are responsible for helping our Financial Crime Investigators achieve accurate and efficient outcomes on financial crime tasks, while also being personally responsible for the completion of some of our riskiest and most complex tasks.
You will act as a final point of technical escalation within the FinCrime Business Banking operation, and ensure that our trickiest escalations are resolved accurately and efficiently, while also ensuring that constructive feedback is provided. Technical Managers also provide product and process feedback to the teams supporting Financial Crime, to make sure there is a constant flow of feedback from the operation into the teams that own our tools and risks.
As part of the Operational Leadership team, you will provide technical advice to the Operations Manager and Team Managers and maintain an overview of financial crime risks facing the operation. You will also support the operations’ hiring objective, chairing technical interviews on behalf of the Operations Manager - don’t worry though, training will be provided to make sure you are equipped for this.
- Technical oversight of the most complex screening tasks, including Senior Manager Reviews of Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) and regular assessment of the effectiveness of our Business Banking Customer Risk Assessment (CRA)
- Working closely with control owners in the first line of defence financial crime risk team to deliver enhancements to our business banking controls
- Acting as a final point of technical escalation for our Financial Crime Investigators and Team Managers
- Supporting urgent and/or complex complaints investigations that require financial crime expertise (e.g. complaints escalated to Financial Ombudsman Service).
- Performing real-time approvals on some of our highest risk tasks
- Providing expert knowledge and delivering ad-hoc training and coaching on a range of FinCrime Business Banking subjects
- Identifying gaps in knowledge, policy or procedure and help to facilitate solutions
- Supporting hiring for senior financial crime roles in Financial Crime Customer Operations
You should apply if:
- You have significant experience in conducting due diligence and investigation on businesses in a financial crime setting, using open source research
- You are a strong team player and able to work effectively as part of a technical team
- You have deep subject matter expertise in Financial Crime, specifically exposure in business customer Know Your Customer (KYC), Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) and Anti Money Laundering (AML)
- You have the ability to handle complex escalations from investigators, team managers and a range of stakeholders
- You can provide actionable specific feedback to a wide range of audiences and levels
- You have significant experience of identifying emerging business risk and trends
- You are confident in coaching and mentoring colleagues and open to delivering ad-hoc training for Financial Crime Business Banking
- You have a strong understanding of UK legislation and regulations around economic crime, as well as industry best practice guidance
- You are able to articulate financial crime risks facing fintechs and the business banking sector
- You have great time management skills, experience of managing conflicting priorities and prioritising time sensitive workloads
- You hold or are working towards an appropriate qualification in financial crime or a relevant subject
- You are able to become fluent with MacOS, Slack, and GSuite tools
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 4 main stages:
- Answering the application questions below
- A Take Home Task aimed as displaying your Financial Crime expertise (1 hour)
- A Role Specific / Technical interview with Operations Managers, Technical Managers or Partners (1 hour)
- A Leadership / Values interview with Operations Managers or Senior Managers (1 hour)
Our average process takes around 2-3 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact Debbieroscoe@monzo.com
What’s in it for you:
💰 £34,650 - £43,000
📍This role is fully remote / requires full-time home working.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The closing date for this role is 1st February 2023 at 10am.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄