Software Engineer - Industrial IoT
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, edge computing, and IoT. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Your role will be to help us provide easy to deploy, secure, and customizable industrial edge solutions. You will work on designing and implementing applications that run on constrained IoT devices to powerful gateways. Embedded systems and Linux will be at the core of your everyday challenges.
In our team we value collaboration, peer reviews, good integration/unit testing and writing maintainable code. General knowledge and experience with Linux as a developer platform is required.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Develop and maintain open source IoT application packages
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by upstream and/or other engineers at Canonical
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Experiment with Ubuntu Core and showcase industry-grade IoT solutions
- Work on Matter, the connectivity standard unifying smart homes
- Contribute to the development of IoT platforms
- Participate in IoT standardisation working group discussions and planning (Connectivity Standards Alliance, Web of Things, etc)
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- Proven track record of at least 3 years of professional software development using Go or C++.
- You have experience working with RESTful APIs, MQTT or other messaging protocols
- You are familiar with wireless communication protocols such as WiFi, BLE, Zigbee, Z-Wave, and Thread
- You have interest and experience with a few of the following:
- Containers (docker, kubernetes)
- Linux distributions
- Snap, debian, or RPM packaging
- Shell scripting
- CI/CD (Github Actions, Gitlab CI, etc)
- IoT frameworks and protocols
- Real-time applications
- You value soft skills, communication and advocacy, and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄