Engineering Manager, Storage Abstraction
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead.
That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Storage Abstractions team enables internal developers to easily express database integrations idiomatically in their programming language of choice. The team is responsible for libraries and platforms that access and persist data in Stripe’s internal databases, including building support for advanced capabilities like migrations, batch write jobs, data rollback solutions, and developer products such as code linters, CI checkers, and IDE based data explorers. Collectively, these solutions help Stripe’s engineers focus on their core business logic while ensuring that database usage across Stripe’s service oriented architecture is safe and consistent.
As a central team focused on productivity and developer experience, Storage Abstractions ensures that storage SDKs are globally optimal and aligned with Stripe’s long term goals, collaborating with many infra teams to lead or support company-wide initiatives.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager within the Infrastructure Abstractions organization, you will lead the Storage Abstractions team and collaborate with other infrastructure teams to make storage abstractions consistent, reliable and feature rich to support Stripe’s use cases. You will also interact with product teams to understand their pain points and requirements to inform roadmap and prioritization.
- Work on a high-visibility team with a significant impact on the company’s infra initiatives. Storage Abstraction’s offerings are among the most ubiquitous APIs across Stripe’s SOA.
- Work with leaders across the company to create and drive toward the longer term vision of Stripe’s services roadmap.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Lead and manage processes to help infra teams do their best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply.
- At least 3 years of experience managing teams that shipped and operated critical distributed system infrastructure.
- Passionate about distributed databases, especially about unlocking productivity when interacting with them.
- Works effectively cross-functionally and is able to think rigorously, communicate effectively, and make or coordinate hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Thrives with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility in an ambiguous environment.
- Technical acumen to drive clarity with staff engineers about architecture and technical strategic decisions.
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both challenging and supportive.
- Reason and operate from first principles, on both management and technical aspects of the position, balanced with pragmatism depending on context.
- Experience working with distributed databases such as Mongo, Aurora, Cassandra, Redis.
- Experience building powerful ORM/ODM abstractions in Java or Ruby or leading teams that do.
- Experience with extensible codegen platforms
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for different audiences (leadership, users, company-wide).
- Effectively managed stakeholder and partner relationships.
- Experience across a variety of infra systems.
- Productively lead fully remote teams.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄