Senior Software Engineer - SRE
Samsara (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, Ruby, Java, Python
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally, have 2.3 million IoT devices deployed globally, and collect more than 85 billion minutes of video footage and 4.6 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Infrastructure Engineer to join our Infrastructure team.
Samsara’s platform supports industries that power our economy. From managing truck fleets, to dispatching emergency vehicles, to securing warehouses, our customers depend on us for their critical operations. As an engineer on the Infrastructure team, your goal will be to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and micro-services that power Samsara’s platform. Your decisions will have a significant impact on Samsara and on our customers.
On this team, we provide foundational infrastructure capabilities such as container orchestration, data storage, real-time data ingestion, and graphql execution to the rest of Samsara engineering. We also provide services to enhance the productivity of developers across a variety of product groups, including CI build systems, deployment pipelines, language & framework upgrades and tooling for testing. You will have an opportunity to work closely with users who use the products you build everyday, collecting immediate feedback to continuously improving our infrastructure. There is a lot of work to do to support our rapidly growing customer base, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
In this role, you will:
- Develop software and tools for creating, deploying and operating hundreds of microservices and their supporting AWS resources like queues, buckets, databases, etc.
- Identify & analyze developer and operator toil, and propose & deliver solutions.
- Drive the evolution of our infrastructure architecture and developer-facing capabilities.
- Provide our product teams with effective and easy-to-use tools to measure and improve cost-efficiency and service reliability.
- Collaborate with product teams to define SLIs and SLOs and provide the observability tooling to measure them.
- Develop on-call and incident response capabilities that improve how all teams operate their services with confidence.
- Drive operational excellence in our platform, through continuous improvement to our paved path to production, architectural review and operational readiness review practices.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- Experienced at writing high quality code (in Python, Ruby, Scala, Java or Go) focused on infrastructure, deployment and operations challenges.
- 4+ years of experience on infrastructure and/or platform engineering focused teams.
- In-depth experience working with public cloud providers such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
An ideal candidate also:
- Has 4+ years of relevant industry experience in software development, cloud architecture and large scale system operations.
- Is adept at building and using observability tools, frameworks, and standards.
- Is proficient with relational databases such as MySQL, caching technologies like Redis and NoSQL databases like DynamoDB
- Knows their way around a UNIX shell and a Linux operating system.
- Enjoys thinking about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes.
- Enjoys working collaboratively with developers of different focuses (such as frontend, mobile, firmware, ML/computer vision).
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄