Data Scientist, Growth
Propel (View all Jobs)
Brooklyn or US Remote
1. Recruiter Screen 2. Hiring Manager Screen 3. Technical Assessment Stage (two real world problems) 4. Team Interview Stage 5. Offer
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, SQL, R
At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for Americans with limited income. Over 5 million people use our app Providers, previously called Fresh EBT, to manage the benefits that keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of the Providers app here, here, and here.
As a Data Scientist focused on our Growth Team, you’ll play a key role in fulfilling this mission by using data to rapidly scale one of the fastest growing financial products to date. You will become our expert on experimentation, helping the team to rapidly discover our greatest opportunities. Your analysis will shape our debit product, developing features custom-built to meet the needs of low income Americans.
You’ll also play a crucial role in fostering a data and experimentation-driven culture across all of Propel. You’ll make our teams more effective by collaborating cross-functionally to ensure our experimentation frameworks are well-designed and effective, and that our data we need is organized, clean, and reliable.
Propel offers a unique opportunity to create social impact at scale. We're a for-profit company backed by some of Silicon Valley’s top investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, and the Omidyar Network. If you’re looking to leverage your skills for social impact, come join us!
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote-first working environment with headquarters in Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City.
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $150,000 -$170,000 depending on experience. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you’ll do:
- Design and run experiments across our company that will supercharge our growth and discover our greatest opportunities.
- Conduct exploratory research to find emerging and impactful trends in user behaviors.
- Foster a data-driven culture by bringing a statistical lens to our problems.
- Ensure our experimental results and datasets are clean, accurate, and reliable.
What you have:
- Minimally 3+ years of relevant experience
- Strong investigative skills: the candidate is curious, can generate and answer their own questions.
- Skilled leader in statistics, with an emphasis on experimentation, AB testing, and causality.
- Strong skills in communicating all things data, whether through visualizations, writing, or presentations.
- Domain expertise in growth, particularly with a focus on consumer-facing applications or personal finance.
- Strong enough data skills in SQL to dig into our data and unblock yourself.
- Bonus: Basic programming skills, with Python and/or R preferable.
- Bonus: Experience with data transformation frameworks such as dbt or Airflow.
- Bonus: Experience with data warehouses and related technologies, such as Snowflake and Fivetran.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄