Staff Network Infrastructure Engineer, Compute
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Network Infrastructure team at Stripe owns core network components used by all product teams to build micro-services which support our business. This includes defining and driving the vision necessary to achieve best of breed scale and availability. Some of the technologies that we work with include Linux OS, Kubernetes, AWS EC2, and AWS networking components. We continuously invest in building new distributed services and scaling existing technologies while working with various teams to meet their current and future needs.
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, help entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, and more. The Compute organization is composed of teams that manage our OS components, cloud infrastructure, Linux servers, container orchestration, and deployments. As a Staff Engineer, you will play a key leadership role in enabling Stripe’s infrastructure to power all of our products, globally and at scale. Your solutions will allow our business to scale and achieve a best in class price/performance ratio.
What you’ll do
As a Staff Network Infrastructure Engineer in Compute, you will play a key leadership role in enabling Stripe’s infrastructure to power all of our products, globally and at scale. Your solutions will allow our business to scale and achieve a best in class price/performance ratio. You'll also work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Design, plan, build, and maintain container infrastructure used by all Stripe service teams
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
- Participate in roadmap planning and prioritisation
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Work on scaling, automation, reliability and observability of infrastructure services
- Identify the shared compute needs across Stripe, understand their specific requirements and prioritise solutions
Who you are
We’re looking for someone with a strong background in networking cloud infrastructure who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- 10+ years of professional experience in a software development or devops automation role
- Networking experience (development or system administration) over a number of years
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience leading projects on a cross-team or company-wide scale
- A strong engineering background in distributed infrastructure services
- Experience optimising the reliability and security of distributed systems
- Experience with scaling and migrating systems with little to no downtime
- Experience mentoring engineers at various stages in their careers
- Experience using one of the major cloud providers - AWS/Azure/OCI/Google
- Experience developing, maintaining and debugging distributed systems
- Experience with ops culture and a deep understanding of metrics, alarms, and dashboards
- Experience in a development team in AWS/Azure/OCI/Google
- 3+ years experience with Go
- Experience with AWS network components (VPC, security groups, DNS Route 53, NLB, gateways, etc.)
- Experience with Terraform
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄