Engineering Manager of Managers, Network Infrastructure
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Network Infrastructure team at Stripe owns core network components used by all product teams to build micro-services which support our business. This includes defining and driving the vision necessary to achieve best of breed scale and availability. Some of the technologies that we work with include Linux OS, Kubernetes, AWS EC2, and AWS networking components. We continuously invest in building new distributed services and scaling existing technologies while working with various teams to meet their current and future needs.
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, detect fraud, help entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, build world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Every request we process is very important to everyone involved and Stripe’s availability and reliability are critical because our users’ businesses depend on us. Our Online Database organization provides the core database infrastructure that’s at the heart of all real-time critical payment requests to the Stripe API.
We architect, build, maintain, and operate the underlying database infrastructure that enables six 9s (that’s right, 6) of availability for all critical Stripe payment APIs.
Our system is the record of truth for nearly all of Stripe’s online data. It must meet the highest levels of security, availability, consistency, performance, and durability in the face of our ever-increasing growth. We are continually thinking about ways to evolve our infrastructure to support Stripe’s growing needs to build the best-in-class distributed database platform -- including ways to work around the CAP theorem!
We provide a product portfolio of key-value, relational, caching, and distributed consensus offerings.
What you’ll do
We are looking for a leader to own one of our core databases here at Stripe. If you are someone who finds solving complex distributed systems challenges just as exciting as hiring and mentoring a quickly growing
organization then this role is for you.
- Be directly responsible for defining and implementing the infrastructure strategy that will power Stripe for the next five years
- Work with engineers and other leaders to improve our infrastructure, primarily in the areas of availability, performance, and security
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and developer satisfaction
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers and managers in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team.
- Mentor and coach managers to create healthy and well-executing teams
- Develop engineers on the team, enabling them to advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives
- We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
- We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe
work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
- We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
- We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and
pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
- We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they
need to make good local decisions.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone with a strong background in networking cloud infrastructure who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Managed teams teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure, particularly in the networking, security or connectivity domains
- Extreme customer focus, committed to investing in partnerships with other Stripe engineers to establish empathy and understand their use-cases
- A genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work, with the ability to question and direct architectural decisions
- The ability to work well cross-functionally, and the ability to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- A strong quantitative and analytical background
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- The desire to encourage a healthy, inclusive work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- You have experience scaling a team from the ground up, or an established team into a much larger group
- Experience managing teams of 40+ engineers
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄