Senior Hardware Systems Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. The Systems Engineering team at Aurora is seeking a candidate with expertise in hardware architecture, engineering, and integration of safety- and mission- critical hardware and software systems.
Aurora’s Systems Engineers work closely with engineering design teams to develop sound and implementable design concepts and requirements. Collaboration and teamwork are essential for bringing various stakeholders together, and guide implementation decisions across different disciplines.
In this role, you will
- Lead human machine interface (HMI), network security gateway and wireless connectivity systems related requirements development with internal and external partners and/or supplier stakeholders.
- Act as an owner for driving technical discussions, ensuring alignment on functional requirements and closely working with the EE and Embedded team to satisfy the requirements.
- Define requirements by providing reasonable rationale by applying first principles and data analysis in collaboration with subject matter experts
- Develop sub-system, element and component level hardware requirements with sufficient upstream and downstream traceability.
- Develop and support FMEAs to drive requirements gap analysis and recommend missing requirements and design actions
- Write design documents to evaluate new features/architecture, drive engineering reviews and ultimately derive clear set of requirements and technical specifications
- Facilitate cross-functional system development activities among the working groups consisting of systems, safety, software, embedded firmware and hardware design teams including facilitation of design reviews, reconciliation of requirements and developing connectivity features through incremental changes to the current system.
- Work with system test engineers to develop verification and validation test plans and demonstrate coverage against requirements, in collaboration with hardware, software, security and safety teams.
- Develop concept of operations that captures sufficient detail to drive safety analysis, Platform and Aurora driver requirements and definition of decomposed functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical or Aerospace or Mechatronics or Computer Science Engineering and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- At least 3 years working in the field of systems and/or safety engineering.
- Strong requirements development and management skills and proficient in using requirements management tooling and systems.
- Strong organizational and communication skills; ability to effectively coordinate requirements development efforts across a large number of stakeholders
- Experience in wireless modem/connectivity in one or more of the following technologies: LTE, 5G, WiFi, Bluetooth and/or GPS
- Prior experience in electrical design development including PCB layout, schematic design or embedded software design development
- Experience defining and designing communications networks such as LTE/5G, WiFi, CAN(J1939, CANOpen), SPI, I2C, Automotive ethernet 100/1000 Base-T1, LIN, etc
- Familiarity with model based systems engineering including requirements management, functional decomposition, dFMEAs, MSRs, FTA, DFA and hazard safety analysis.
- Ability to quickly gain a deep understanding of system architecture and product specifications including system redundancy designs and high availability systems
- Sound grasp of the elements of autonomous driving technology and robotics
- Experience in designing input and output filters for noise reduction & EMI improvement
- System level experience with exposure to power distribution, cabling, interconnect, and protection
- Proficiency with electrical debug and test equipment; including: oscilloscopes, multimeters, logic analyzers, JTAG tools, etc
- Design of safety critical system elements
- Familiarity with automotive design, qualification, validation, and reliability requirements
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics, wiring and assembly drawings
The base salary range for this position is $156,000.00-$234,000.00 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial wellbeing.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization's long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at email@example.com. if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄