Site Reliability Engineer
RStudio (View all Jobs)
USA - Remote
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
Posit creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain. As a Public Benefit Corporation, we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
We are seeking our next Site Reliability Engineer to work with the team building Posit’s next-generation data science platform: Posit Cloud. Posit Cloud harnesses the flexibility and power of Posit’s tools as a software-as-a-service product, reducing barriers to entry and helping businesses, professionals, hobbyists, teachers, and students more readily do, share, teach, and learn data science.
In this position, you will be working on the infrastructure and service that powers Posit Cloud. Every day, the service runs tens of thousands of containers across multiple Kubernetes clusters, created and maintained via in-house Kubernetes Operators and the Kubernetes sub-project, Cluster API. It also stores petabytes of data in the high-scale distributed storage system, Ceph. The platform backend utilizes a predominantly Python 3-based microservice architecture on Amazon Web Services.
What you’ll own:
- Building, deploying, and operating the software responsible for managing, maintaining, and securing our cloud infrastructure.
- Implementing infrastructure-focused features across our entire product with a keen eye toward scalability, simplicity, and cost-effectiveness.
- Leading initiatives to improve the platform's operational reliability, security, and overall quality.
What you’ll assist with:
- Improving our infrastructure-as-code and continuous integration and deployment pipelines.
- Giving and receiving feedback on effective and appropriate solutions to difficult software challenges through discussion, collaboration, and code reviews.
- Providing a steady hand during operational incidents, guided investigation from experience, and methodical attentiveness during blameless post-mortems.
- Ensuring quality observability through metrics and monitoring to provide actionable alerting with a high signal-to-noise ratio.
What you’ll teach:
- Continuous improvement and automation through data-driven decision-making.
- Emerging cloud native tooling and best practices, such as service mesh and multi-cluster network topologies.
- Effective scaling strategies to support the infrastructure needs of a growing service.
What you’ll learn:
- A breadth of AWS services you may not have previously used, such as MSK or Glue
- Metrics and monitoring at scale using Datadog.
- Common cloud-first software patterns (such as Kubernetes Operators) and infrastructure-as-code using Pulumi.
- The Posit products and how their data science customers work.
You have 5+ years of professional experience writing software to manage infrastructure at scale. You are user-focused and motivated by our mission to facilitate data science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building great software by striving for robust design, clean and well-tested code, and delightful user experiences. You excel at breaking down complex problems into bite-size tasks and driving them to completion. You are self-starting, have a bias for action, and strive to complete efforts through continuous and iterative improvement. You are humble while using accomplishments to drive your sense of ownership. You are pragmatic and flexible and have a keen empathy for your co-workers and users.
Within 1 month:
- Get to know the team and how we create, deliver and maintain software
- Follow our onboarding process and contribute improvements to it
- Participate in a series of architecture overviews to gain familiarity with the platform
- Deliver your first changes to production of our infrastructure and microservices
Within 3 months:
- Participate in the on-call rotation while working to reduce or eliminate non-actionable alerts so that being on-call is a burden for no one
- Contribute infrastructure-focused efforts on a small team to build out a new feature of our product
Within 12 months:
- Own or demonstrate expertise in multiple areas of our infrastructure and services
- Research problems and new technologies and effectively communicate findings to the team
- Propose significant infrastructure projects and lead them
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional $125/month to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄