Senior Software Engineer (Brazil)
Monograph (View all Jobs)
São Paulo, Remote
1. Quick chat with member from team. 2. Video call with manager to discuss background & experience. 3. Paid take-home exercise (2-3 hrs). Pairing session is also allowed alternatively! 4. 45 min w/ future teammate to discuss tradeoffs. 5. 30 min w/ Head of Engineering to discuss interview process & answer any remaining questions about the role or company.
$65,000 - $80,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
Look around you today, every store, home, hospital, school, was made possible by the coordination of architects and a team of professionals. They are charged with the responsibility of creating our shelters and yet, they are left with nothing more than Excel to manage their work. We're here to change that.
What is Monograph?
Monograph was founded by a team of ex-architects. Our vision is to become the full “end-to-end” system of record for all things built in the built environment. A system of record is the integral and authoritative data source of information, decisions and milestones for all stakeholders in the system. Our mission is to always be in service to architects and professionals responsible for our built environment, letting them focus on what they love and do best.
Why Work at Monograph?
People first: Core to the team, we believe in people first, curiosity, and empathy. You'll be our ambassador and deploy your genuine value for relationships to drive success and happiness.
Build a company that will redefine architecture: Project management is just the beginning...we have big ambitions to help facilitate the entire design process from becoming the document source of truth to coordinating with consultants. You can shape the future of building design.
Work with some of the best product people in the world: We’re an innovative team of highly productive individual contributors with a strong design background. You will be doing some of the best work of your life.
- React/Typescript and Ruby on Rails experience
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Openness to feedback, collaboration, and others’ ideas
- Effective written and verbal communication
On any given day as an Engineer at Monograph, you might get to…
- Spend time learning about the industry we serve. A significant portion of our team has worked in architecture or architecture-adjacent industries, so there’s a wealth of knowledge on tap!
- Provide technical mentorship to a teammate.
- Work with your product and engineering peers to scope, deliver, test, and maintain features that delight our customers.
- Estimate project work, to set or reset expectations with your teammates.
- Spend time 1:1 with your manager and other Monograph leaders, sharing your experience and working together to help you reach your growth goals.
- Contribute to decision-making through our RFC process. We use RFCs to collaborate on our process and technical decisions.
- Perform compassionate code reviews, seeking opportunities to learn and teach.
- Track down and fix pesky bugs. We’re always looking for ways to improve the product!
- Collaborate closely with customer-facing teams to ensure our users continue to love our product.
- Write and ship code in our Next.js and Rails applications.
- Contribute to our engineering culture by giving a presentation, or sharing something you’ve read.
- Spend time with your teammates, whether in a pairing session, a “coffee, cookies, and code” meeting, or regular team syncs.
- Share your weekly goals with your teammates, and review their goals with an eye toward how we can assist one another in reaching them together!
- Occasionally travel to team off-sites for real, face-to-face interaction and collaboration.
Some things that will help you do your best work in this role include…
- Exposure to a range of problem domains, programming languages, and frameworks, and familiarity with patterns that are idiomatic to them. We value diverse perspectives, and the depth and breadth of your experience will provide unique insights into the problems we solve each day!
- Bringing a people-focused approach to your work. How will your work impact our customers? How will it impact your coworkers? These are front-of-mind for you when you consider the ever-present tradeoffs in building software.
- Being intentionally curious. During your time as an employee, you are expected to challenge the status quo, not take things for face value, and ask: “why?”
- Willingness to do the hard thing, whether having a difficult conversation with a coworker or stretching into the discomfort at the edges of your experience and knowledge.
- Finding the opportunities for enjoyment in new challenges, and making space for silliness now and again. You’ve learned how to make work fun for yourself and those around you.
- Being design driven. Experiences should be as well-designed as the buildings our customers work on.
Salary Range: $65,000 - $80,000
Expected hours: US Eastern Standard Time
Language: Fluent English
Ready to apply?
Great! We aim for transparency in our process, so here’s what to expect next:
- Initial Chat (30 mins): After reviewing your resume and cover letter, a member of our team will reach out to schedule a time to chat. We’ll discuss the role and work to understand your motivations to determine which team or teams might most benefit from your skills. In this and every other interview, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and get to know us.
- Take-home Exercise (3 hrs, paid): You’ll receive a paid take-home skills exercise. We ask that you time-box it to 3 hours of focused effort. We use the time constraint to understand how you prioritize and communicate trade-offs. It’s okay if it’s not a finished product! If your schedule or situation doesn’t allow for a take-home exercise, we can accommodate other options as well.
- Exercise Walkthrough with Team (60 mins) You’ll spend about an hour with future teammates collaborating and discussing your approach, decisions, and tradeoffs made in your take-home exercise.
- Chat with Head of Engineering (45 mins): You’ll have a 45 minute call with our Head of Engineering, who’ll ask for your feedback about the interview process and answer any remaining questions about Monograph or the role.
- Get Started: we’ll reach out with an offer and discuss when you can start!
You'll Love Our Benefits
🚀 4-day workweek (we have 1 weekday off!)
🌡 Health, dental & vision for US-based employees and families
🖥 New laptop & equipment
🏋🏻♀️ Wellness Stipend
🎭 Innovative engineering and product culture
💰 Early-stage well-funded company
❤️ Inclusion and diversity as a company priority
Is this role only full-time? Can I work remotely?
Yes, this role is a full-time role. We are a remote-first company.
What is the company culture like?
Our company values are People-First, Intentional Curiosity, Design-Driven, Do the Hard Thing, Ownership & Seriously Fun.
Our CEO's thought on culture—read about it on Fast Company.
What efforts are you making to increase diversity & inclusion within your company?
With two minority founders and 2 new parent founders, we're focused on having a welcoming environment for all backgrounds and experiences. We actively source candidates from non-traditional backgrounds knowing that diversity in thought and education ultimately results in a better company. We also have solid work-life balance, knowing that there's a lot more in your life than just your job.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄