Staff Manager, Customer Security & Trust
Github (View all Jobs)
Remote - United States
1. Take-home exercise 2. Code review and technical discussions.
Programming Languages Mentioned
GitHub is looking for an exceptional Customer Security and Trust leader with a technical bent and extensive hands-on leadership experience. This role will accelerate the growth of GitHub’s Customer Security and Trust program. In addition to filling the role of a manager, this individual will be uniquely positioned to build relationships and liaise across the enterprise and will work in close collaboration with the GitHub’s Security, Revenue, Legal, and Product Organizations. GitHub is committed to doing right by our customers and maintaining a Customer Security and Trust program where we put the trust and needs of our customers first.
If you have a demonstrated record in Customer Security and Trust, have experience collaborating with support and account teams and diverse business organizations in order to drive enterprise objectives, and want to contribute to building customer trust and security superfans of the world's largest software development platform, we want to hear from you!
About the Role:
As part of the Governance Risk and Compliance (GRC) function under GitHub’s Security Org, this role will lead the talented Customer Security and Trust team. You will work closely with multiple groups including GitHub’s support and account teams, commercial legal, security incident response, technical risk, compliance, and product to:
- Develop scalable ways to share knowledge across a quickly growing company;
- Collaborate on durable artifacts and collateral to build on a customer’s ability to self-serve information around what they care about most;
- Build and maintain scalable tools and automation to support workstreams for responding to customer security questionnaires and requests for information;
- Establish program metrics to support business decisions and ensure activities are prioritized based on their potential impact to the business;
- Ship and iterate on process improvements with a goal of repeatability and consistency while maintaining high quality;
- Proactively identify opportunities across the business to deliver on customer trust through partnerships, new initiatives, and projects and
- Prioritize and nurture the current team principle of providing information and addressing questions in a transparent, honest, and accurate way with high standards of quality.
This is a team effort, so as an experienced manager bringing your team members, leadership, and customers along for the ride is integral to your success. Central to the team's culture is that of inclusion, transparency, and teamwork - we lift each other up to be successful!
The selected candidate should be comfortable interfacing with revenue, engineering, product and security services, business and operational organizations, and occasionally directly with customers. The role will work with respective stakeholders and owners to prioritize CST strategy and revenue goals with the highest potential impact and support the operationalization of those efforts. Our ideal candidate takes an extremely pragmatic approach, functions as part of a growing team, and is able to balance the needs of a very dynamic culture.
You will be the lead of the program and collaborate with your direct reports on the maintenance and improvement of GitHub’s Customer Security and Trust Program. As part of this role, you will:
- Support a talented and motivated team of Hubbers as a people manager by prioritizing weekly team syncs, consistent 1:1s, individual development planning, performance reviews, hiring, etc.
- Practice and lead with kindness - our team is often engaged during incidents or when a teammate needs help. Treating each other with empathy and respect is foundational to building trust and creating positive relationships.
- Work closely with the GRC Director and Chief Security Office on program strategy and improvements to solidify and clearly articulate the priorities and goals of the program.
- Act as a conduit of information to and from the Revenue org.
- Advocate for customer needs and asks across the business.
- Support the full life cycle of customer security questionnaires and requests for information as well as the training and enablement efforts for the revenue org teams providing first line support.
- Track progress of team services and business functions against revenue goals.
- Collaborate with security and revenue leadership to ensure relevant metrics are captured in order to inform and drive business outcomes.
- Bring attention to potential high impact - low cost opportunities or innovations to increase the ability to reduce friction for customers to be able to purchase GitHub’s products.
- During incidents, play a supporting role in reviewing customer comms and fielding customer questions.
- 7+ years of experience in the fields of security, IT, and/or sales enablement.
- 4+ years of people management experience with experience hiring and building a team.
- Experience managing a distributed remote team while customizing team processes for maximum productivity and minimal burnout.
- Direct experience with teams that build and maintain Customer Security and Trust programs and tooling.
- Practical experience with RFI workflows and tooling.
- Direct experience working through customer questionnaires and requests for information.
- Proven track record supporting customer engagement with superior customer support and ability to manage difficult conversations while satisfying customers.
- Exposure to customer contract terms, site policy, or terms of service in support of account and security teams in partnership with a legal function.
- Familiarity with applications and tooling supporting automation of processes and workflows.
- Proven communication skills and ability to understand the value and drivers behind adjusting style and tone for a given audience, including technical and non-technical peers across the company.
- Independent motivation, high comfort level with asynchronous work environments, written communication, use of chat tools.
Preferred Experience and Approach:
- Your first and foremost job is to put your employees and team members first by building and maintaining a safe psychological environment based on GitHub’s Leadership Principles: Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
- Mastery at digging into problems, answering questions, and assisting colleagues both within the CST Team and across the company.
- Experience / familiarity working with GitHub's Products and services
- Proven success in developing and using metrics/KPIs to assess, report on and improve program performance.
- Experience in an iterative, transparent environment where work is shared in draft stages.
- Proficiency in working under ambiguous situations, with demonstrated drive to bring clarity using communication and independent research of existing documentation and resources.
- Experience with a team-centric mindset. Drawn to collaboration with a belief that we create a better result together.
- Expertise in functioning as a business to technology translator and help bridge the revenue and security teams.
- Demonstrated confidence in ability to say "I don't know, but I will find out!" with a strong desire to learn.
Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $265,100.
At GitHub certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄