Engineering Manager, Scalability:Projections
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
The Engineering Manager, Scalability:Projections directly manages an engineering team that is responsible for GitLab.com at scale. The team is responsible for the processes and systems that support the Error Budget and Capacity Planning activities for GitLab.com. Our focus is on using data to understand system growth and sharing this information with the development engineers that are responsible for building GitLab.
The Scalability Group mandate is described in this handbook page. This page of the handbook offers more specifics on the Projections team that consists of both Backend Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers.
This role reports into the Senior Engineering Manager for the Scalability Group.
- Support an incredible team that lives our values
- Perform hiring activities as needed
- Improve the efficiency of the team with a focus on results
- Hold regular 1:1's with team members
- Drive scalability initiatives of GitLab and GitLab.com and represent these activities outside of the Infrastructure department
- Cross-department project management
- Ownership of capacity planning and error budgets
- 2+ years managing software engineering teams
- Strong technical background
- Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization
- Experience running a consumer scale platform
- Product company experience
- Enterprise software company experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Exquisite communication skills
- Remote work experience
You can read more about leadership at GitLab here: Leadership at GitLab
- Online community participation
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
- Experience with capacity projections technology or metrics and observability tooling
- Experience with resource costing or cost data management
Learn more about the Engineering Management - Infrastructure roles, including compensation at the engineering management - infrastructure page.
Learn more about the team, including the team vision, key metrics, etc., in the team handbook.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄