Principal Software Engineer, API
Checkr (View all Jobs)
Remote, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
$223,975 - $263,500
Programming Languages Mentioned
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer, API to facilitate the long-term design of Checkr’s core APIs and to lead critical cross-organizational initiatives, including driving Checkr’s first versioning strategy. In this role, you will work across the entire R&D organization to deeply understand the product’s domain models and customer needs, and work across all teams to ensure that Checkr is architecting a best-in-class, API-first product that can scale into the future.
- Facilitate the long-term architecture of our APIs
- Drive the work to introduce Checkr’s first versioning strategy
- Lead and sponsor API governance groups and advocate for best practices
- Deeply understand customer, partner, and product team needs
- Ensure the quality, reliability, and scalability of our services
- Collaborate with the team in designing and implementing new features
- Partner with Product and management in project planning, focusing on timeline and scoping
- Evangelize Checkr’s APIs and be an advocate for Checkr in the developer community
What you bring:
- 5+ years leading API design and architecture projects across an organization
- 8+ years experience in a leadership role
- 15+ years experience as a software engineer
- Experience in Ruby and GoLang
- Strong collaboration, communication and project management skills
- Deep understanding of microservices design and asynchronous queueing models
- Experience leading and influencing cross-functional teams
- A strong sense of ownership
- Experience mentoring engineering and product teams in domain driven design
- A great desire to learn, collaborate, improve, and innovate
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado and New York law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $223,975 - $263,500 and within the city limits of NYC is $263,500 - $310,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄